iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

storing dried lumber ???

Started by caveman, March 26, 2020, 08:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I had a thought this morning about storing kiln dried lumber that I wanted to run by the experts.  Would using polycarbonate greenhouse type panels for a lumber storage shed adequately keep the dried lumber from gaining moisture?  I expect that a fan may be needed to circulate the air and a light barrier installed to keep the light off of the wood.

I would think vents would be needed to control humidity.  What else should I be considering that I have not?  I would not plan to insulate the floor or walls.

I have seen some sheds with a dehumidifier or an a/c unit installed but solar is free.  Granted, this solar shed would probably not work for many areas of the country.

The slide down the slippery slope continues. (Hey, John, let's buy a small band sawmill and cut our own lumber).
Thanks for your input.

Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

K-Guy

Caveman

Vents will only work to maintain ambient RH, which in your area can be high. If you were going to use vents, you would be better off storing it under cover without the expense of a greenhouse. Instead I would use a small household dehumidifier with a drain line to the outside. It shouldn't need much power as the wood is already dry and will only need to maintain the RH you set it for.

WDH

I would think this would apply to wood guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHiG-43Fzg
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

caveman

Thanks for the input.  A DH in a shed seems like a better idea.  I just checked our hot box.  It is at 151° and the solar kiln that we loaded yesterday was at 120° an hour ago.

Danny, the slabs from the cherry log that you gave me a year and a half ago went into the kiln yesterday.
Caveman

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

DH in a shed is only good if it will be over about 60 F inside.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

caveman

Doc, I was just telling my wife how the virus is messing up the project plans at Jake's for many of us, among other things.  Thank you for your input.

There are only a few days during the year that it may stay below 60° for a whole day here so the dehumidifier should do well.

After getting a load and a half of longleaf this morning I did my homework and reread some of Drying Hardwood Lumber this afternoon.  Ironically, we have a lot of softwood to saw and dry.

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!