iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fed-Ex Shipping My Blades

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 17, 2014, 08:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just heard on the morning news that Fed-Ex is gonna raise their shipping rates for home delivery
by 5 %.

Another nibble into the sawing business.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

we have been battling the shipping demon all summer. we have had to pay extra on home delivery time and time again. I have been trying to figure out if its cheaper to ship my blades to resharpen or just buy new. I think its about neck and neck by the time you pay round trip shipping. time to learn to sharpen myself.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

currantvt

We have been using UPS for our web based sales for 10 years or so and have just recently moved to USPS with their flat rate boxes, the UPS rates seemed to be all over the place-if we shipped from here in VT to any where in the northeast it was more expensive than sending it to CA making it difficult to have shipping rates on the web site. The' one size fits all approach'' from the post office is easier and they do have a fair choice of boxes now so there should be one for you guys to get a blade into, worth checking out

Dave Shepard

I think it's $101 total for 10 blades to ReSharp and back. New box of 10 is around $280, I think. Still works out better than new.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

warren46

I think I am fortunate.  I use an outfit that picks up and delivers for $5.00 fuel charge for each trip.  Their price is right for both sharpening and new blades.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Den Socling

The building for Process Control Specialties, Inc. is within walking distance of our house. If UPS delivers, we are a business. If they pick up, we are a home. Go figure. We have been fighting this for years. UPS has even sent people to look at the shop. We just use USPS for small shipments. They're jerks at UPS.

red oaks lumber

you'll save money sharpening and setting your own blades. the knock on usps their express rate  is taping the package to a turtle  :) it took 9 days from chilco id. to my door ;) the employees should be paid by the package not the hour ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Cedarman

Periodically I order grinding hog parts from Oregon.  They put about 30 to 40# in an if it fits it ships box.  They tape the heck out of it.  Once they shipped on Sat and it arrived in Indiana on Mon.  Usually 2 days from them to me.  USPS can do very well at times.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

drobertson

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 17, 2014, 08:10:04 AM
Just heard on the morning news that Fed-Ex is gonna raise their shipping rates for home delivery
by 5 %.

Another nibble into the sawing business.  :)
Might be a good time to do you own sharpening?  It's not that bad,  lots cheaper for sure.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WH_Conley

UPS wants $15.00 per pickup at my place, says it is a remote location. The local truck fills up every evening on the way back to the terminal at a little station a mile away from me. I leave my packages there. They still want $15.00
Bill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: drobertson on September 17, 2014, 08:09:38 PM

Might be a good time to do you own sharpening?  It's not that bad,  lots cheaper for sure.

Thats not gonna happen. If I have to sharpen my own blades, who's gonna mow my grass?  :D

WDH

Maybe @Pineywoods can design a machine that will do both jobs at the same time  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 17, 2014, 09:31:34 PM
Maybe @Pineywoods can design a machine that will do both jobs at the same time  ;D.

Maybe....when it comes to the Male species......there's a blade involved somewhere......and Grits.

scleigh

Most freight / package carriers have a rate increase yearly.
Ups is high, But their tracking is better.
Ups and FedEx do business with USPS to offer a cheaper delivery option with no claims or tracking. Ups even carries USPS air freight on its planes.

yukon cornelius

fedex charged us double after a pickup here. we added several pounds and a few extra inches  to make sure we covered the cost. what do you do, you cant fight someone on the weight and size after its picked up. they also charge us for the distance from our home address when we took packages to an official fedex store site. I should start a delivery service. in my spare time I guess.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!