iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where are you getting your knives sharpened?

Started by chip5774, November 21, 2023, 07:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chip5774

Wondering if anyone has a consistent reliable source to get corrugated back  profile knives sharpened? I live in upper Mi and can't seem to find anyone that is any good at sharpening or will even sharpen profile corrugated back knives. I would put them in the mail if someone has a good source any info would be great thanks 

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KcMatt

Superior Grinding in Raytown MO has a wide array of capabilities.  They do sharpen band mill blades and also build them.  If they are near you it would be worth checking out.

scsmith42

W. Moore profiles in Mooresville, NC makes my corrugated profile cutters and can sharpen them as well.  Great folks.  They also have a branch in NY state.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Brad_bb

I don't know what those are, but I send all my planer knives on my beam planer to Jorsen and Carlson in IL.
Jorsen & Carlson
I rotate through 12 sets of HSS planer knives on my beam planer.  The first 4 sets I got from Woodmizer, but when I couldn't get more from them, I found Jorsen and they made 8 more sets for me.  They sharpen a lot of stuff.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

QuoteWondering if anyone has a consistent reliable source to get corrugated back  profile knives sharpened?

Pic of a corrugated back profile knife from the link in reply #1.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

I send mine to Joe Maine with ICT. It does help that he comes by about once a month and I just hand them to him and he mails them or brings them next month. If you mail them be sure to send the template with them.  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Brad_bb

I'll assume it's a high speed steel knife?  How do they sharpen one of those without messing up the shape? Is it a stone that follow a path like how they cut keys?  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

scsmith42

Brad, when you buy the knives they include a plastic profile block for sharpening.  The profile block snaps into the sharpening machine and it follows the profile.

If I didn't have an established relationship with W. Moore Profiles, then Joe Maine at ICT would be my next choice.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

A corrugated knife front and back with the plastic pattern.  I used to do a lot of custom moldings and would fax a drawing off to my knife guy and could get the knives with the pattern the next day if the customer agreed to pay overnight shipping.  My knife guy worked out of his house and has retired.

Corrugated knife steel can be bought and its not that hard to grind out a profile on a standard bench grinder.  Of course you will need an assortment of rocks.  I never sent knives back in to be resharpened unless I had to have a exact match on a existing profile.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

chip5774

Thanks to everyone I'll check these out for sure 

Thank You Sponsors!