iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

crazy4saws, I have a little more snow than you do. The ground is covered, but I drag one tree across the snow and the ground can be seen.
Good use of the gator.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I've got some hangers that are going to require some ingenuity to recover .I've done it before but to do  it safely is time consuming .The alternative though of being crushed by a tree is not appealing .This time of the year with the frost on the pumpkin and Jack Frost nipping at the nose my enthusiasm is not real keen .

PoginyHill

The Brits might be on to something.

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I'm sure going to miss the ash .I might have at best another 5-8 years left of it .It will hold maybe 5-8 years standing dead until the roots go then a little puff of wind lays them over .Fact I've got a hundred footer  grounded  that's also going to require some fancy rigging to recover . It's one thing to deal with a live tree and entirely different if it's in a tangle on the ground where the forces of nature decided where to put it .I'll get it eventually .

SwampDonkey

I have ash here by the thousands, nothing of much size yet, but if I find one trashed by nature I buck it for the firewood. Surprising how much heavier a dry piece of ash is compared to a dry piece of aspen, it's close to twice as heavy. Comparable sizes of course. ;D Most of the hardwood regen on my ground will be ash. It's grows as prolific as aspen around here. Lots of cut ground around here comes back to mostly aspen and ash. Out in the back country there's none, it's glacial sand, and ash don't grow in that dry stuff.

Bernstein (on Youtube) in ND gets his out of the stream bottoms and gullies.

Funny how the land is no much different in other regions. I've been to places it's dead flat and the gullies sink into the ground below grade of where it is flat around. Around here gullies are on steep sloped hills, up there, not down there in a hole with you standing on the widest contour on the continent, 10 miles wide with no land higher in sight. :D :D Someone took and flattened the land like pizza dough and cut into it from one random point to the edge of the counter. ;D  I've seen it out midwest and also north of Quebec City around Alma Lake-Chicoutimi. Fields of canola and sunken gullies below the level of the fields. If you want to see a surprise in land form, drive up through there. You drive through miles of steep rocky hill sides (forested) and boom, you just landed on another planet. :D Notice it more when you go left toward Alma, the highway splits.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

It seems the EAB had a brain .The ash smaller than perhaps 4 inches got spared and I only assume it was because a sapling that small would not be large enough to sustain the larva .Since it killed all the great big 100 footers in the understory literally thousands of new growth have sprouted .That said my great great grand children may  see those 100 footers once  again .I know I won't but I saved some  good logs for lumber which I might add is my favorite as far as wood working projects . I do think  the lumber should  last that long inside .

mudfarmer

Got a bunch of piles like this decked up in various places, it worked well last year to twitch out to piles by the roads I can actually use during mud season, buck in place and split into trailer when it is too muddy to do much else then bring home or wherever it is headed. Those red maple logs look nice on this side but they are hollow and/or rotten heart :D

SwampDonkey

When a man takes his jacket ....and mittens off in the cold, he's going to do some serious work. ;) 

:D My father, he'd say 'you can't get anything done with mittens on, take them things off.' :D Mr. ball cap on his head driving up the road 4 miles in -30F N windchill to cut wood. I'd freeze my ears off. Frost bite hurts on the ear tips to. :D

mudfarmer

Gotta dress for the cold, and the warm! Long way there and back on tractor, show up toasty warm and shed a few layers, get to work or you will be cooolllddddd  ;D work for the day, put coat and such back on for nice warm ride back to wood stove land!

SwampDonkey

Glad I got my next years wood all in this fall, nice and warm stacking this spring. But my old man and myself (brother on skidder) we always cut firewood in the winter with skidder. One time before I was old enough, dad was filling two house woodsheds and wood for 2 potato ware houses. Seemed he cut wood all year. Besides cows, hay and potatoes. Came home one night for supper, back '76 or so, told mom I have to get rid of the cows. I can't work much longer around the clock. :D

mudfarmer

That's right, cut wood all year! This is all TSI and storm cleanup, can only get back there when frozen and still end up dragging cable 100ft up a cliff with the tractor in mud between boulders at the bottom.

Already have next year's wood so better start trying to sell some again or will be 5 years ahead.

Dark out, still standing in the freezing rain and ice pellets mix dealing with the other daily stuff. Your old man probably enjoyed it more than not, too  ;D

Al_Smith

I should have enough but if not I have nearly an unlimited supply within 5-600 feet away .However as I've said I've nearly lost all enthusiasm when the mercury dips .It hasn't been too cold the last few years but due to the fact in Ohio the weather can change in a day or two you never really can predict it .On the other hand that high efficiency propane furnace seems to do a nice job .It usually won't kick in because the insert keeps it above the 72 degrees the thermostat is set at .

SwampDonkey

My mother is always saying, our weather comes up from the Ohio River valley. I think she is talking about rain in the summer though. ;D Because the big snows were always off the NE from the Straight. Now when we get a storm it seems the punch is all gone by the time it gets here, rain, snow, no difference. Used to be more predictable, can't rely on forecasts now, all gone to pot. :D We did get all kinds of fall rains though, so that helps the ground.

crazy4saws

Cfarm, you got a gator?

We don't seem to get much snow anymore, lucky to have one good day for the skidoo's. 

This was taken last fall. The gator gets used almost everyday. It's perfect for forwarding firewood to the main piles when the grounds too wet for the tractor.

12 years ago we were using a simplicity 3410 pulling a small garden trailer. Thankful for what we have!

thecfarm

No gator here, would not clear the rocks in the trails.  ;D
I can't take a picture like you did without at least 10 rocks in the picture.
I just have 2 tractors, one for her, one for me.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sum1

Not enough day light to get anything done so I added some lights.

SwampDonkey

Is that a one tire on front, 4 in the back? My neighbor has an old one, he's been rebuilding. He's an old tinkerer, and now disabled (mind wise - stroke), still gets around, but they won't give him back his license to drive.

mike_belben

thats not a 5 wheeler.  i have two of them an old man gave me. probably the only thing i will build into an EV.  for getting the mail and sneaking up on creeping meth heads in the night.
Praise The Lord

Al_Smith

Talk about hanger ,what's the odds of this ? Right down dead center of a conjoined hickory .Evidently mother nature is better at aiming than myself .However I don't think I'd have put it exactly there .

barbender

Mike I'd love to see a pic if you with your assault kit on the EV 5 wheel Gator, ready for action!😂
Too many irons in the fire

Big_eddy

Older picture of ours. Still going strong. Got a new eyeball since this picture was taken,  (and a GX390 clone transplant prior to)
Use it almost every day pulling the splitter to and from the log pile (and bringing back non-saleable crotches, hunks and chunks for "personal use" )

Magicman

I finally got an opportunity this afternoon to unload my trailer load of firewood into the woodshead.  I have one more trailer load split and ready to haul which will complete my next year's firewood supply.  ;D 

Gots to stay ahead of them Glaciers.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I knew that was a 5 wheeler. I guess I know stuff. :D  Great little buggy Big_Eddy. ;D

SwampDonkey

I know what you mean MM, I've got a little mountain of firewood under snow, for next winter to. :D

Thank You Sponsors!