iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log splitter

Started by tstex, November 01, 2021, 01:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Hello to all,

Have about a 100 acres and use firewood, BBQ smoking wood and other....looking to invest in a log splitter and was seeking advice on any reliable make and models and features that you guys feel are important, as well as anything to avoid?  With more bells and whistles, it's just more to break or replace over time.

Here are a few things to consider whether it's a gas or PTO Driven log splitter:
- Have a tractor w 60 PTO, no hydraulics
- 95% of the wood I will be splitting is live oak, mostly after being freshly cut or partially cured.  
-5-10% is vary old aged oak [very, very hard] but many times has age splits in it already
-will store it in a garage but it is not climate controlled.

Thank you for your advice,
tstex

PoginyHill

How many cords/year do you plan on?
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

tstex

Probably no more than 2-3/yr.  And the avg diameter will prob be 8-12".

Thanks for your reply.

sawguy21

I would suggest a 22T gas drive with a 4" ram for maximum portability and ease of use. There are hydraulic and inertia driven models each have their pros and cons. If you want to quarter the rounds, more power and a larger ram are adviseable. You could rig a hydraulic system to your tractor but that gets complex and expensive.
Whatever you do ensure it has standard SAE hydraulic components, nothing worse than trying to replace oddball offshore pieces. A table will really save your back.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Southside

So you say live oak and I am guessing you are from Texas.  Sawguy may not realize that you are trying to split steel reinforced, fossilized, concrete.  I would second what he says, but get the highest rated ton splitter you can afford.  The tonnage is a product of the size of the hydraulic ram, not the engine powering it, so a 5" cylinder will outperform a 4" one when both are running off the same pump and engine.  More square inches of surface area for the oil to push against gives you more force.  

I would not mess with the tractor, it will be cheaper, easier, and more effective to just buy a purpose built machine.  The nice thing is you will then have a portable hydraulic power pack.  This fall when finishing up wrapping hay it hit me that I am tying up a 70 HP tractor to turn a simple hydraulc motor when I have a perfectly good hydraulic pump and gas motor sitting 100 yards away waiting for me to split some firewood with.  She is getting a couple of quick connects and will be turning the bale wrapper next year using a 5 HP gas motor rather than a 70 HP diesel one.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PoginyHill

Quote from: tstex on November 01, 2021, 03:34:57 PM
Probably no more than 2-3/yr.  And the avg diameter will prob be 8-12".

Thanks for your reply.
For that amount, I'd recommend a decent big-box splitter. I used a "27-ton" Troy-Bilt for 10+ years doing about 8 cords/year. Have since upgraded to a semi-professional one doing 12+ per year. But I have no regrets with the entry-level splitter for the volume I did. Depending on what size firewood you want in the end, a 4-way wedge might be helpful.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

moodnacreek

If it was 'live' red oak from up here and if you are young, I would suggest an axe.

tstex

thank you very much guys...you have provided some very good insight...trying to avoid any buyers remorse and go w proven experience.  I will post back again soon on a route...

I also viewed some videos on maul splitters and other, and the wood was from up N somewhere.  We do not have that type of would here in S/SE TX.  I will take a few pics of what I will be splitting and post back, ok.  Also, this is the time of year to do this type of work w lower temps and lower humidity.

Thanks again, tstex

jmur1

2 to 3 cord a year is perfect territory for a basic big box splitter.  8" to 12" is a single wedge's bread and butter.  The value of the pro splitter is a pretty decent investment.  You can use them for as long as you need and they will only lose a fraction of their value while they make your task much easier.  If you can use your tractor (if you have a loader or a dump trailer) to manage your output you can ease up on the body workout as splits are made.  

Another time and effort saver is a planned out work station.  A staging area for the chunks or an elevated log table will make the production improve while limiting the physical strain.

jmur1       
Easy does it

hedgerow

Most farm store or big box store splitters will have no issues with 2-3 cord a year. Black Friday is just around the corner. I would be watching the sales. Probably not a good time of the year to buy used on FB or Craigslist. 

woodroe

I would suggest checking out the vertical option gas log splitter. Been renting one the last couple years, 25T.
Will take a 24" piece. Really like this horizontal/vertical feature.
I have some big chunks of Pine from culls that need splitting, some 18-20" and heavy.
No need to pick them up, roll em to the splitter and stand them up.
I think tractor supply is having a special on this model coming up for $999. Probably gonna get one.

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Southside on November 01, 2021, 09:47:12 PM
 This fall when finishing up wrapping hay it hit me that I am tying up a 70 HP tractor to turn a simple hydraulc motor when I have a perfectly good hydraulic pump and gas motor sitting 100 yards away waiting for me to split some firewood with.  She is getting a couple of quick connects and will be turning the bale wrapper next year using a 5 HP gas motor rather than a 70 HP diesel one.  
Southside,
We did the exact thing this year!  The ole splitter didn't like the first few wraps when everything was cold. It also didn't like it when it was super hot out (nor did I). It did the trick and runs pretty cheap too!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Gere Flewelling

After 4 decades of using various hydraulic splitters for home and for small commercial firewood, I took a risk and tried a kinetic (Super Split brand) splitter.  I usually have 50% really tough wood like elm and rock maple to split.  Just couldn't justify the cost of a big commercial type splitter.  Turns out the risk has paid off.  Once I learned the technique of running the Super Split, I wouldn't be without it now.  I can split much faster if I want to, use 1/2 the fuel per cord, and no hydraulic fluid to leak or spill.  I haven't found a piece if wood it won't either split or cut in two.  My only regret is that I waited until I was old to learn all this.  Better late than never I guess.  I sold off all the old hydraulic splitter and just have the Honda powered Super Split now. 
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Southside

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on November 05, 2021, 03:13:29 PM
Quote from: Southside on November 01, 2021, 09:47:12 PM
This fall when finishing up wrapping hay it hit me that I am tying up a 70 HP tractor to turn a simple hydraulc motor when I have a perfectly good hydraulic pump and gas motor sitting 100 yards away waiting for me to split some firewood with.  She is getting a couple of quick connects and will be turning the bale wrapper next year using a 5 HP gas motor rather than a 70 HP diesel one.  
Southside,
We did the exact thing this year!  The ole splitter didn't like the first few wraps when everything was cold. It also didn't like it when it was super hot out (nor did I). It did the trick and runs pretty cheap too!
Awesome!! Maybe I should plumb in a cooler then because when we make hay it's definitely what you would call "super hot". Makes sense given the small oil volume they hold. 
How did you get the bales to dump off? I was thinking of a 3 point hitch type mount and a piston pushing up to replicate what the tractor does. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

GRANITEstateMP

Southside,

It's an old wrapper, we plop the bale on, hook the wrap onto the bale, then count (I think 33 wraps for 3 layers). When done cut it and there is a dump function. I'll try and get a pic of it at some point. A cooler or a bigger reservoir would be key. A plastic chair and cheap pop up tent are must haves also!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

woodroe

Quote from: woodroe on November 05, 2021, 11:21:33 AM
I think tractor supply is having a special on this model coming up for $999. Probably gonna get one.
After reading some of the reviews on that splitter by County Line probably won't buy one. Made in china to boot.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

GRANITEstateMP

It might not be a splitter, but, it's a bale wrapper that's run by a splitter ;D

that little splitter has seren soooooo much abuse over its lifetime!  It was originally at a rental company, had a few hard years there. It then went to a local fellah that used it enough that he had to flip the beam over cause it was so thin!  We got it from him when the old honda pooed out, put a new/used one on and away she goes!!

Southside, that bale wrapper came to us in trade for some bales to a farmer that was selling off their herd and needed a bit more feed :( It's no frills but works pretty good
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

newoodguy78

That's good thinking right there. Not trying to derail the thread but do you need the dump function at that point maybe just lift them off?

customsawyer

If you plan to be splitting live oak I think you are going to learn why they like to use it for building boats. Tough is a understatement.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Greenie

I'll second the Super Splitter. 50 cords of hardwood finely split for campers every year for 14 years. I could never look at hydraulics the same again after using kinetic energy.

Iwawoodwork

Definitely go with the stand alone splitter, that way you are not wearing out a tractor and the tractor is available to use. Wood splitting for me is home use not commercial.  My first splitter is/was a 37 ton gas powered and a great splitter nothing has stopped it yet. Splitting mainly Doug fir and some oak. I had it at a friends house for 3-4 years and about 1 1/2 yrs ago we were at Costco and they had 27 ton gas powered splitters priced at $799 so we bought it for our other property, cut large juniper and a little pine, works good but little use. Got the 37 ton home now. My 37 ton will lay horizontal or tip up vertical and with the larger fir butt cuts I generally use it in the vertical position. would rather do some rolling and bending than lifting.

Thank You Sponsors!