iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The next step??

Started by DanG, May 13, 2003, 09:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Things are continuing to pick up around here, with the notable exception of milling. The ailing engine has put a temporary halt to that. It WILL be fixed soon!!
I suddenly have logs dropping from the sky. Folks are finding out about my operation, and are pointing all their friends to me to GIVE me logs. I now have logs laying in 5 counties in 2 states, and I don't have enough DanG time to pick them all up! It has become obvious that my hauling equipment is insufficient. The rig is just too small to handle the influx in the time I have available, so we are thinking about a larger truck.
I have located a log truck, an '84 GMC 7000 with a "Slick Stick" loader, for $7,000. It appears, from the photo, to be in pretty good shape, and I'm going to call for more info, tomorrow.
Should I be thinking of going this route, or am I just setting myself up to become a logger, rather than a sawyer?
All opinions, pro or con, are solicited.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

J_T

Dan G Does that loader have a grappel on it ? Around here I have found some trucks with knuckelboom loaders in the 5000 to 7000 range. Usley the trucks have a few dents. I have a loader with a by pass grapel it is handy for a lot of things You can stack logs easey put them on a runway to your saw . I used mine to set my mill up. Mine you sit above the cab so you can see real good.Would like to have one larger maybe some day.They stack cars good too. :)
Jim Holloway

billbobtlh

Hey Dan I forgot if it was red or white oak you wanted. :D
No matter that pile is still there. Session will not let up.
Im glad you are getting so many sources.
I like to say sure I'll take it but you have to bring it to me.

DanG

J_T, that one is just a cable loader. Since it is 300 miles away, and I'm short on spare time, I think I'll pass on it. I'd love to find one with a knuckle-boom grapple on it, but they seem to go sorta high around here.

Bill, I been thinkin' about you, but I know you've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger. I love all the oaks, but the whites are hard to find, around here. Funny thing, but you can drive 20 miles north, from my place, and they're everywhere. I guess we're at the very tip of their range. :-/   Visited a buddy today to check out the left-overs where he had the pines logged off his place. He sold 65 tons at $8 per ton, and they didn't leave anything worth having. He does have a few large blackjack oaks, 10" to 12" that he wants taken down. If you're interested, we could gang up on them one Saturday and get them to your splitter.

Frank_Pender

Dan, I have been doing this thing of sawing for 12 years.  I have found that the majority of the time it has paid me to to have someone else haul the free logs for me.  I can write the entire cost off and have have to spend time hauling my tractor and trailer to a site and then return to get them both. :'(  $7,000 would sure haul an awful lot of logs for me, out here.  8)
Frank Pender

crosscut

hey dan if you are patient and mechanically handy. you could probably build a better loader truck. and yes you are right about how high they run in the south. i paid 9 grand for mine. mechanically its in  pretty good shape but it sure aint purty ;D but so far ive found out purty sure dont seem to make me as much money as paid for does :) ive seen a few good deals on grapple loaders that need motors and such. and real good deals on used trucks. like ryder or u haul trucks. if i only had the time to put em together sheesh  ::)

Minnesota_boy

I had a truck once to haul logs to the mill, but when I was sawing, I wasn't hauling.  When I was hauling, I wasn't sawing.  Now I saw and let the truckers do the hauling.  I'm better at sawing than hauling anyway. ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

J_T

When I got my knuckelboom they were hard to find three years ago now they are every where . JD skidders 7500 upthat is a 440 Simi trucks are almost 2 for one. Just wish I had saved my momey when I was young! Come on down we'll get you a bunch.
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!