iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweet Memories

Started by WDH, September 02, 2008, 10:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

There are some things that you think about from your past, food wise, that make you miss the good old days.  Now, in many respects in these modern times, the good old days really were not that good in comparison to today's technology and progress; many products are actually much better than in the good old days.

But some aren't!  I say all this because I was thinking of the pimento and cheese that my dear Mother used to make.  She used that cheddar cheese that came in big hoops at the local country store, some called it rat cheese.  She shredded it up, added mayo (I think), chopped pimento peppers, and probably some other secret ingredient or two.  Nothing today that you can buy even comes close.  Served on toasted bread with a thick slice of tomato........well, I drift back in time.  Sadly, she is no longer here to make it anymore.  Very simple stuff, pimento and cheese, but it is a sweet memory nonetheless.

Do any of you have any sweet food memories from the past?

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Here I am trying to cut back a little and Danny makes me think of food.  ::)

My Grandma made a killer chocolate pie. I have found no one to match the fluffy egg white topping or the rich flavor of the chocolate filling. Like your Mother, she has passed on with the recipe known but to her.  :(

Thanks for making me remember some really happy times. :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Corley5

I just finished a piece of my Grandma Whittaker's pecan pie.  It was great and the best part is I've got half a pie left  8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Mooseherder

Lots of good Food memories and Momma's cookin' was good but we had the Dearest School lunch ladies when I was in High School growing up in a small town.
They fed and ran that cafeteria like we were kings.   Seems they made most of the food from scratch especially their baked goods and deserts.  You could tell they took pride in their workmanship.  The one that has stuck with me and miss the most is the Homemade Cinnamin sticky buns.   No sticky bun ever come even close since High School.  Not even the ones you spend a couple bucks for.  Thanks for the sticky bun memories WDH. :)

Lanier_Lurker

My momma made biscuits from scratch.

I don't know the exact recipe she used, but I know she sifted the flour with one of those sifters that has a handle on it like an egg beater.  She eventually wore the handle out and took to banging on the thing with her palm to get the flour to fall through.   :D

After letting the yeast infested dough set for a spell, she would role it out and then use a Bama jelly glass to cut out the raw biscuits.  (I wonder how many here have seen Bama jelly glasses  ??? - - - not jars, but glasses with a snap on lid, and the glasses were infinitely reusable.  I drank iced tea sweetened with saccharin out of Bama jelly glasses during many of my formative years)

Those few biscuits that were not consumed after a particular cooking were set aside and toasted later for another meal (after having a pat of butter smeared on them).

Now don't get me wrong - I ain't picky and I like most any good biscuit, but these were something special.

Norm

My mom was a great cook that had recipes that no matter how many times I try to make them they never taste just the same. One of my favorites was a sandwich spread made from bologna that came in big round hunks. This would be run through a hand grinder and chopped eggs, pickle relish and a salad dressing added. My sons were reminiscing about how she made a stove top macaroni and cheese for them when they were little. Same for them that they've never been able to duplicate it.

Thanks for stirring up the good memories Danny. :)

thecfarm

My Grandmothers were both great cooks.But the one that lived across the road here had all the farm fresh things to do with.That makes a big diffeance too.When you can skim the cream off from the top of a milk pail,you really have something.Or go right out to the chicken coop for an egg,you are on your way to some good cooking.All that she had was an old cook stove to cook with.Kinda hard to copy the flavor with a gas or elecitric stove.I can remember toasting some of my other Grandmothers biscuits on a cast iron end heater.Had to have them a little bit stale so they would not fall apart when turned and toasted.Most of them could be cut 3 times because they was so thick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OneWithWood

Mom was the baker:
Butter cookies
Lemon bars
All sorts of oatmeal do dads

Dad was the cook:
Swiss steak
Spaghetti sauces
Liver and onions

I can come close on the spaghetti meat sauce and I have perfected the liver and onions
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 03, 2008, 01:12:00 PM
and I have perfected the liver and onions

Care to share yer secret? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

olyman

Mom was the baker:
Butter cookies
Lemon bars
All sorts of oatmeal do dads

Dad was the cook:
Swiss steak
Spaghetti sauces
Liver and onions

I can come close on the spaghetti meat sauce and I have perfected the liver and onions
aint possible--aint enough ketchup in the usa for liver and onions--- :D :D

olyman

Quote from: DanG on September 03, 2008, 02:07:58 PM
and I have perfected the liver and onions

Care to share yer secret? ;D
ya, never make the stuff---- :D :D

DanG

Why, I'm surprised at you, Olyman!  What have you got against onions? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

OneWithWood

Simple secret.  Search on Liver and Onions and you will find my recipe.

Hint:  It involves barley pop  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dave Shepard

Quote from: OneWithWood on September 04, 2008, 12:38:36 PM
Simple secret.  Search on Liver and Onions and you will find my recipe.

Hint:  It involves barley pop  8)

So the idea is to get sufficiently plastered that a stale slim jim tastes like prime rib? :D

One would think that mac and cheese would be hard to screw up, but it isn't. There's no mac and cheese like my mothers. food6 I like simple foods generally, so it's especially bad if they've been screwed up. My family , at least going back in generations, is not known for it's culinary adventures, successful or otherwise, but there are a few things that definately bring back some memories.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

metalspinner

I remember a fried dough that was made for us as kids.  We had a nanny that would watch us after school until mom got home.  She would fry up this dough and put some peanut butter on it.  Boy was that good.  She was with us for almost ten years.  But that was almost 30 years ago.  I wonder if Mom can track her down...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thedeeredude

And everybody has a grandma that made Christmas cookies food1  I love snicker doodles and those shortbread cookies with homemade jelly in the middle.   ;D  Only a couple more months 8) 8) 8) 8) 

moonhill

My Grandmother made a sliced pumpkin pie.  No one has ever been able to reproduce it.  There has been many tries but none the same.  It is always a good exercise to try.  The closest my wife has come is using a basic apple pie recipe.  The same goes for the molasses cookies.   Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!