iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric chainsaw for mill

Started by bandmiller2, November 02, 2008, 04:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

A neighbor gave me an old electric chainsaw.I don't recognise the name,Rototiller co. Troy NY.16" bar I know it will be handy around the mill.He never ran it odd twistlock plug,changed the plug sounds and runs like a power tool should no plastic.Very handy for those heavy slabs and digging out hardware.Old electric power tools seem to run forever.How many use an electric chainsaw around the mill. ??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WH_Conley

Been using one for a few months. Starts first time, no pulling or cussing.
Bill

Bibbyman

We had an electric chain saw for years.  It was some off brand.  Worked great but we just wore it out. Then we bought this Sears model that was on sale for $60.00.  Used it for years.  The only problem we had was the cord kept coming out of the handle.  Had to repair it a couple of time.  It still works fine.

A year or so back we saw they had it on sale so we bought a new one.  The new one cost about $90 on sale - just short of $100 tax and all.  The new one had an easy chain adjustment feature but was otherwise the same as the old one above.

We use it for every kind of cutting but usually for hacking long slabs in two or triming board ends.  We've used it to trim 7x9 ties and such but that's a lot to ask.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

I'm guessing it may be Troybuilt, as they made a zillion rototillers, in Troy NY. I always wanted one just for that around the mill. I don't like to hand big long slabs. Also, I like to cut any over 16' anyway so the slab bundle isn't too huge.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Toolman

I use an older McCullough from early 80's 16" bar, works great for around the mill.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Ron Wenrich

We've been using a Stihl electric for about 10 years.  Before that we used a small gas job, since we didn't have electric in the mill.

I went to a mill one time and the guy said he had a double end trimmer.  A Husky on both sides of the green chain.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

cheyenne

Troybilt made great tools. Unfortunately they went bankrupt because of the cheap import market and were bought up by MTD. I have one of thier  33 ton log splitters and it's a joy & built like a rock......Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Joel Eisner

I started using a small homelite electric chainsaw around the mill since my part time sawyer helper ran some straight gas through my Husky 353 when he was cutting the drop cuts when cutting shingles on the band mill.  I kindof like the electric saw since it is fairly fast when sharp and he has to work harder to kill it compared to the gas one.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

bandmiller2

I also have a older Milwaukee with a 20" bar draws about 15 amps,its one of the best but taint cheap.I've tried some of the cheapies [Wen] not worth taking home.What I like about the Milwaukee and the old one is they boath use 3/8 chain,don't have to change wheels on the grinder or have different files.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mike_van

I got a Homelite at the dump, free!  Works good for inside stuff, no fumes.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

PineNut

I will agree about not getting one of the cheapies. Got one a couple of years ago to remove a not too large tree from the top down in my son's yard in Ohio. Got it for a one-time use only on this one tree and it didn't even do that job. The thing fell apart mechanically. I have thought about getting a better one for use on those random cutting jobs around the mill. Sure would be convenient.

Meadows Miller

Gday Frank

Ive used them before on sawmills dont mind them when im using them at the end of a greenchain or within 20' of it but hate draging the bloody cord around with me all day  :( thats why i like the gas csaws  ;D apart from having to start them every time i want use them ;) if its the bosses and he aint got it tuned rite >:( im not a happy camper

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Cedarman

We use an electric Stihl in the mill.   We are on our second one.   We have to trim slabs to 10" to get them through the resaw, so it sees a good bit of work at times.  With all the fine sawdust in the mill, a gas saw does not seem to last long.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Toolman

I remember a co-worker warning me a couple yrs back to stay away from Harb.. Frei..t   He bought an electric chainsaw there for $49.99  :D  He said he used it twice for about a total of 30 minutes. He could hear the body of the saw crackin as he applied downward pressure on the wood.  :D :D Then, he smelled hot metal burning before he burnt it up :D
I told him you get what you pay for, a disposable chain saw. I asked him what brand name they had on it, he joked and said "Rots O' Ruck" . The clerk hand's it to you and says "rots o' ruck." I about pee'd myself laughing. :D :D
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank You Sponsors!