iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In need of the best Electric Chainsaw

Started by Dewey, March 30, 2014, 07:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

My Mill is stationary and I have been using a Electric Chainsaw to trim off wain and defects. I have been using what I thought was a good brand saw, but they are not holding up.... It goes through switches faster than I think it should... switches are about $30 bucks each . I don't really want to Bash brands so I wont say the name. I'm wondering if  any of you guys use electric saws and if you do what can you give me for feedback.

ElectricAl

Dewey,

We have 2  Stihl MSE180c chain saws. One is the primary and the other is a back up.  Plenty of power compared to the other three brands we tried before.
A $50 saw can't cut it in our world. Pun intended.
Even though the Stihl is $400 it is well worth the investment.

The key is to let the saw do the work. Steady medium pressure is all it needs.
Don't force it, it's not a 660.

Our first one lasted 7 year. Put in a set of brushes, and several drive sprockets and chains.
Easy service work.

We use ours a lot  ;D

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

backwoods sawyer

Got to agree the best electric is a stihl ;) we used them in the production mill because they held up. The 24" ran a heavier chain. We used them mainly to cut up to 6" cants out of edgers when they stuck, reaching thru opening and using the tip to cut each saw free. lots of nibling on metal as well, so keep a second saw handy ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Dewey

Thanks I will look into it...  I am using a top brand  $500 saw... I 've gone through three... Thanks Again !!

Rockn H

I don't know about the electric ones, but the battery powered stihl's are IMPRESSIVE  ;)

scully

over on the chainsaw board I remember seeing a vidio of the new cordlesss Husky . Not sure if that will helpyou .
I bleed orange  .

sawguy21

I have never liked the direct drive Stihl electric, the balance is off with the motor hanging off the side. Have yet to try their cordless, expensive enough then have to buy the battery at extra cost. :o The Husqvarna corded was nice to operate but didn't seem all that reliable under steady use.
Anyone tried the new Oregon cordless? It is nice to use, feels like a 40cc gas, but does it hold up? IMO, they can forget the goofy auto sharp chain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bandmiller2

I have a Milwaukee electric chainsaw with an 18" bar 3/8 chain, its no toy, pulls almost 15 amps. I'am not sure if they still make them, I've always bought used. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dewey

The Husky is what I have used ....  They are very well balanced and have plenty of power but don't hold up at all for the amount of $$$  they cost....

Drewser320

Have a Stihl E20 at our mill. It's been here so long, I have no idea how old it is. All it does is exactly what it should year after year after year.

Ron Wenrich

We used Stihl in our mill.  We used it for trimming boards and ties.  Ours was corded and seemed to have enough power.  I didn't do the repairs, but I do know there were a few electrical issues.  But, it got heavy use and lasted for many years.  On some days, that saw would run almost constantly.  I don't think we tried any other brand.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ely

I asked the same ? a few years back, I got several replies and went with the  dolmar brand electric saw. I think norm used one too, I have it today and it is a great tool for me. no problems at all.

Thank You Sponsors!