iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white oak stain

Started by Jeff, April 08, 2013, 10:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm working on sprucing up an old Forest Service Field Phone. I've got the wooden box stripped of all of it's hardware.  As you can see by the photos, there is quite a bit of dark stain on the quarter sawn oak. I think I already know my answer, but is there anything I can do about it, or is it what it is? :)

Much of it will be back under the hardware, but not all of it.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Oxalic acid would be the best bet, IMO
http://www.realmilkpaint.com/oxalic-acid-bleach.html

Or a strong bleach solution to give an idea if the stain is "removable".

At least don't think it can hurt the wood any.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

Iron on wet wood is bad news. :-\
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jeff

Its not iron. It's all painted brass. Brass screws as well.

mesquite buckeye

Think it is just grunge and mildew, then?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Jeff

It looks like a tannin stain, but shouldn't be with the brass. The photos are after a good sanding, but I'm sanding with a 150 grit to start. I don't want to remove any more wood than necessary to clean it up. The wood is good and sound.

mesquite buckeye

Is is possible that they used brass plated steel? That also could explain it.  ??? ??? ???

mesquite buckeye

My dad could have helped you with all the old phone stuff. He was Army Signal Corps telephone maint to forward OP, Phillipines, 1945. Too bad he is gone for 16 years now.

Jeff

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on April 08, 2013, 10:35:30 PM
Is is possible that they used brass plated steel? That also could explain it.  ??? ??? ???

Could be. I've not got into cleaning that up yet. Maybe they just spilled lots of coffee. :D

Jay C. White Cloud

I would clean it all up first with soap and water, then a little bleach dilution.  If you are still wanting it cleaner, go with what Beenthere suggested, "Oxalic acid."  If that don't get it, I don't think anything will without causing more harm than good.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mesquite buckeye

Maybe. Bet it was rained upon many a time. Hope it turns out nice.

When I get less buried with stuff I have to do, I'll post some pictures of my Great Great Uncle's woodworking tools. I can tell you like that old stuff. These came across from Germany in the 1880's.

Tree Feller

Another vote for Oxalic acid. Wood bleach is hydrogen peroxide and sodium hydroxide (lye). It is I good at removing stains but will remove the color, too.

Those are nice box joints on that case.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Jeff

Where would Oxalic acid be readily available?  Home Depot?

Tree Feller

I think I remember seeing it in our local Home Depot but a paint store will definitely have it.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

SwampDonkey

You could always distill it from wood sorrel this spring. ;D :D If I hear ya talking with a lisp, I'll know you got into it. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Axe Handle Hound

Jeff- oxalic acid is sold as "wood bleach" at placed like HD like Cody said or even at Menards if you have one of those nearby.     

Jeff

Thanks for the sage advice gentlemen. Almost all the stain is gone. There is a little remaining in a couple spots, but it is where it will be covered. It may disappear yet on this third application. I don't want to do any more than I need to, as it does raise the grain some.

Home Depot has discontinued all wood bleach products according to the store I visited. I found the Oxalic acid in a small hardware in Houghton lake, sold as a product called wood bleach.  :)

Jeff

It needs to finish drying out so I can finish up the sanding.  :)

ely

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Jeff,

Very Nice! keep the pics coming as you restore it.  Looks like you will have a real nice piece.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Tree Feller

That is a nice transformation. I'm glad you found something that worked.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

barbender

That's a neat piece, and I see you put the Menard's flyer to good use too ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

I finished the case a few minutes ago. Didn't realize it was tomorrow already. :) Thanks again for the advice. :)

By the way, the brass vent screen in the first photo cleaned up amazingly is ketchup!  Left it soak for about an hour, and it rinsed clean like you see it.  8)

beenthere

That is a pretty impressive re-do. Looks great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!