iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lap siding

Started by kcbarnes, November 09, 2001, 07:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Kc,
Here's some pride and he's not even a sawyer.  He's a junk dealer that retired from the Marine dock building business.
This link was a little before you came and is a reason to peruse some of the old links.
https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general&action=display&num=996670313

kcbarnes

Good link Tom, as I get time I am going though all the old post. A lot of good info in them.

Ron Wenrich

Here's my 2 cents on tulip poplar.

Cutting 1x10's for a 5" reveal seems like overkill.  I have a 4 1/4" reveal on 6" boards.  It seems that you could get away with 8" boards.  Just take some scraps and play with it before hand.

Not planing the boards may be a problem.  You will have some cupping and warping.  If your boards aren't good before you resaw, they won't be afterwards.

You might want to consider cutting your thickness to 5/4.  

You will still have a rough side from the saw you used to split the board.

Another option may be to split green and then dry.  It'll dry a lot quicker and you may skip the planing.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don P

Hi Guys,
We just got back home and are glad to reach out and not hit a wall..in any direction! stayed in the shower till I got bored! :D :D
Oh, the thread ;D
The old homeplace here was done in flat poplar about 1/2" thick with a watertable shim to start the first course tip. My house is "dolly varden" cedar, a bevel pattern with a rabbeted back bottom edge (hey didja know, rabbet from the french rebate: to remove). Oh maybe it was rebatir (I sucked at french ::) ) It was planed then resawn. I made a tipped trough out of plywood and 2x4's 16" widex 16'long. Plopped a board in face down rolled stain up that side, turned it over rolled the face, tipped on edge, step aside for refreshment as it drains a sec then off to drying racks of 2x's on horses. The drain off ran to a tray at the lower end of the trough to be recycled back to the roller tray.
Neighbor used 4/4 EWPine boards lapped, we had to pad the trims to account for the buildup thickness.

woodmills1

lord knows up here the poplar we cut is really quaking aspen but it cups real bad most of the time. :)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Eggsander

In the case of beveled siding with a rabbet for the overlap, what about the relief cuts on the backside? I believe they are there to relieve cupping stress to help the siding stay flat to the wall. But are they really necessary if your sawing the siding out of dry wood? I wonder if maybe they're just used on the production side to provide consistant performance out of the stuff for the discount lumber marts.
The Peterson has a different setup for sawing beveled siding, but I haven't gotten a chance to play with that part yet. Soon, maybe.  :)
Pride, whoa man lookout. Hey my justification for buying the mill was that I could use to saw most of what I need for the addition we've been planning for our house. Timber frame, interior walls and ceiling, hardwood floors, siding, ..... heck maybe even the front door!
To be able to build something that people can appreciate is a great feeling, be it a chair, a boat, a house, a toy, or a piece of furniture that borders on art. But take it step further and know that you could walk into the woods with your tools and your knowledge and be able produce those things with what you find there, now that is cool.  8)
.....Besides, I'm too tight to spend what they want for the crap they sell in the stores.  ::)
Steve

kcbarnes

Ok this is my NEW plan, all else is the same except that maybe I will cut my boards 4/4 or so and then put them in a taper jig right away to cut the bevel and then I could stack them nested with the two pieces overlapped only about a 1/2" on the narrow side so I would still have air flow all around them and also have a top and bottom side parallel for easy stickering.

Thank You Sponsors!