iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found a Beauty

Started by Magicman, November 06, 2018, 08:18:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I can't ever remember hearing or using the term before but I suspect a twitch is very similar to a mess like a mess of fish or a mess of turnip greens with significant flexibility involved in the application.  If you get too worried about the exact dimensions and volume/weight involved and get a headache we can ask Danny to bring some extra strength placebos when he comes to explain it to you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Or you could go to the "Extras" above and look in the FF Dictionary.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

My Father used that twitching word all the time. Twitching out wood. I would susupect that came from the horse,oxen days. He used the wood about a tractor or a skidder too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on December 20, 2018, 08:31:18 AM
Or you could go to the "Extras" above and look in the FF Dictionary.  :P
OK, I double checked that and IMHO, the current definition could use just a little "tweaking".

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

True, but I ain't a tweaker, I'm a twitcher.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

My butt starts to tingle when i hear the word twitch. Dad just had to give the warning and i would shape up really fast.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

rjwoelk

But if you fix a twitch to get it out of the bush . You may tweak and twitter about it bit .
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Resonator

From what I understand, a twitch refers to any single log or group of logs being skidded out of the woods. The term gets its name from the side to side swinging of the longs (especially tree length) as they are pulled around corners, much like the twitching of an animals tail.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Quote from: Resonator on December 20, 2018, 09:44:51 AMFrom what I understand, a twitch refers to any single log or group of logs being skidded out of the woods.
Our understanding is the same.  smiley_thumbsup

Southside

And now who can describe a "Dooryard" ?  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I ain't from New England, but I saw plenty of them while traveling there.  ;D

Roxie

I sure hope Marty shares some pictures of his finished floor.  Love a floor with character and history.  smiley_heart
Say when

Sheepkeeper

Quote from: Southside logger on December 20, 2018, 09:55:04 AM
And now who can describe a "Dooryard" ?  ;D
That would be the yard outside your door as opposed to the yard outside your window which would properly be called a "Windowyard"  ;D ;D ;D
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

WDH

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 20, 2018, 08:28:51 AM
 we can ask Danny to bring some extra strength placebos when he comes to explain it to you.
If it does not involve vessel elements or sclerids, I can't explain it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

We bucked, split, and hauled the three twitches of firewood this evening.

Ben taking his turn with the splitter.  It was dark when we finished so no pictures of the two full trailer loads of split firewood.  A 10' shown above and also a 16'; total was a bit over two measured cords.  ;D

trapper

You always say WE but I never see you doing any of the work.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DelawhereJoe

The supervisor just make sure the jobs get finished and done safely, if the boss gets involved then no one is happy.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

LeeB

That should be enough firewood to supply all of Brookhaven for next year. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Actually none was for me, it will all go to Marty's MIL.  That should be enough to last her 3 years.  There is another Red Oak down beside the creek that I plan to get for my use.  Getting enough firewood is never a problem here. 

Resonator

QuoteGetting enough firewood is never a problem here. 
Board footage and cord woodage!    
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Very descriptive!  Yes this started with a very nice fallen Red Oak that will become board footage. 

Sadly many trees fall into the creek.  With the Tajfun I can now recover some of them but if they are those 30"+ Red Oaks they just have to rot where they fall.  Double blocking this one was the only way that I could have recovered the butt log and it wasn't in the creek.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Sorry to come in late on this one but in my experience, if you're standing at the stern of a bovine and notice it beginning to twitch, you're about to be smacked, either by the bovine's tail or by the stench of the end product of the digestive track...

Herb

Magicman

I went by and took pictures of the two trailers this morning.

The 10' trailer.

And the 16'.  I know that by "Glacial" standards this ain't much, but for us "Tropical" guys it's about a three year's supply.  fire_smiley

Andries

MM:
A nice load of 'cord woodage' - those two loads would heat my shop for at least a month or two up here in the glaciated up-yonder. (quoted from thee one and only WDH)
My eyebrows go up whenever I see Carharts, logging winches and log splitters without a solid 20 cm of white snow. 
How is that even possible ?
:D  ;D  :D 

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

thecfarm

Almost like hearing Brig Crosby sing,I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas in MS.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!