iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siberian Elm BURL

Started by campy, February 07, 2011, 09:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campy

\

Should I be happy or should I be sad to find this?

If I should be happy could someone help me place a dollar value on this?

Should we cut it into veneer or sell to a wood turner as a single piece?

Sould I sell it on ebay perhaps?

Any ideas would be much appreciated please.

fishpharmer

Give it to Burlkraft or Metalspinner, they will make you a thing of beauty. ;D 8)

Looks interesting.  When did you go to Siberia? ;) :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

tyb525

How big is that thing? 3'x6'?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

customdave

Nice find, I don't think I could stop myself from putting it on the mill ;) to see whats inside, but thats just me....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

campy

The size is 48" x 20" approx.

Burlkraft

Quote from: fishpharmer on February 07, 2011, 09:38:03 PM
Give it to Burlkraft or Metalspinner, they will make you a thing of beauty. ;D 8)

Looks interesting.  When did you go to Siberia? ;) :D
I like yer thinkin'  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

metalspinner

QuoteGive it to Burlkraft or Metalspinner, they will make you a thing of beauty.  

It looks like my agent already hammered out the deal.  When can I swing by topic it up? ;D

Nashville is large enough that you should be able to find a local buyer.  Woodcraft there might sell it on cosignment for you, or they can give you the contact info for the local turning club.  I think it best to have a buyer before cutting it.  That will allow the buyer the most flexability to make his decision.

Your other ideas would work, too, it's just more effort, legwork, and risk on your part.

I can't help you with price.  I stopped buying wood years ago. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

terrifictimbersllc

Jody said its mine but you could have it for 17 million.....

from  "It came out of the sky"

http://www.tsrocks.com/c/creedence_clearwater_revival_texts/it_came_out_of_the_sky.html

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

campy

Thanks for that nice song.
I enjoyed it.

A wood turner is coming to look at it and I have had a couple of calls.

Mooseherder

That is an amazing piece of wood.
Hopefully the turner will send you a picture of the innards. :)

low_48

That's a bute! We get a fair number of  burls on Siberian Elm here in Central IL. It's a beautiful wood, and with all those buds, it should be pretty nice. The contrast of cream sapwood and the deep brown heartwood adds to the beauty. The burls I get seem to go pretty deep, but in a radial pattern. Works better for woodturning than lumber. Let us know how the deal turns out.

Thank You Sponsors!