iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ladder chains on a skidder

Started by treechopper40, January 08, 2014, 03:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treechopper40

hi all was wondering if any of you guys ever run ladder chains on your skidders seen a set today on the back of a franklin tree shear thanks in advance for any info
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Southside

Are you referring to highway type chains you would run on a truck?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ed_K

Ladder or H pattern,I have a set on the tractor (ice picks) I don't think they would hold up long on a skidder.The ice picks don't stick up very high compared to the diamond ice chains on the skidder.
Ed K

treechopper40

the set I seen were like a regular skidder chain heavy outside chain with like a 7/16 cross chains these were a lot heavier than what you would use on a tractor
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

beenthere

Google ladder style tire chains and you can quickly see what they are and how they get the name.

Further Google of ladder chains for skidders  will get more sources of info.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Maine logger88

I just googled them but I don't think they would work as good as ice chains or ring chains but definitely better than no chains IMHO
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

beenthere

I think you are right, and they are not the best in deep snow.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bobus2003

Im running Ladder chains on my 440 currently for many reasons: skidder is on paved roads often plowing snow, they are way cheaper and more readily available. In the woods they are not the best but leaps and bounds better than no chains.

treechopper40

David-L

I ran a set of OFAS green ladder chains with boron tips on a 230 TJ with 18.4x34 rubber and got a deal on them at the chain shop when I bought them. They were returns and I got them at half price. I was skeptical but after two winters and no issues I liked them alot. ran them on the back and did some very rocky jobs and they ran smooth on snow also and did not have any build up. I beleive they were 1/2 or 9/16 chain. TCR has single diamond forest trac for farm tractors and if they were on a smaller machine those would be fine. pretty cheap also and free shipping.
                                             david l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Bobus2003

Quote from: treechopper40 on January 08, 2014, 10:55:08 PM
bobus where did you get them ?

I got them from Runnings (Ranch supply store)

FFLM

I'm running them on my little 208 front and rear with no problems.  I had rings on the front and ladders w/ ice pics on the rear but got sick of the rough ride fron the rings.  Thi winter I put the ladders with ice pics on the front. Much happier with the smooth ride.  On the down side it does not break new trail as good in deeper  snow.
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

RayMO

I ran a set of home made ones out of 3/8 log chain on my 18.4x26 tires on my 440 and they were way better in the mud than no chains.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

Thank You Sponsors!