iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Retaining Wall

Started by lowpolyjoe, June 19, 2013, 10:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

I'm thinking of building a short retaining wall to level out part of my property.  Ranging between 1' and 3' high over the span.  Would run probably about 50' long.

I started out thinking the cheapest possible solution would be 6x6 pressure treated lumber.  I checked HD and Lowes and found the costs added up quick.  I think for 8' section (biggest i can handle by myself without equipment) is something like $28.

I just looked for the cheapest possible retaining wall cement-blocks and i see 12"x4" plain blocks (witih the little lip for retaining wall stacking) is only abotut $1.28.  Two layers stacked 8' long would cost me 16*$1.28 = $20.48 and be 8" high (instead of 6" high with the lumber).

It seems like blocks are the way to go?  Also don't need to buy a big drill and spikes.   I had planned on running some deadman anchors with the lumber - which i knew would be a pain since i'm diggin by hand.  I don't see anything comparable for block-based walls.  At a max of 3' high (probably less) i'm hoping it doesn't matter. 

The wall doesn't have to be beautiful because it doesn't face the street and will largely be unseen... but it does face my neighbor's yard in view of his deck at one spot so it can't be a total eyesore.

Any advice?

Thanks a lot
Joe

redbeard

You could collect other peoples broken concrete its usually free. Craig's list is a source to find it or put a wanted ad for it. I've seen some nice looking walls made this way.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

snowstorm

the cheapest thing is the big concrete blocks. 2'x3'x6' a lot of concrete plants make them with the left over crete. someone orders 6yds and only uses 5 so rather than dump it they make blocks. but you need something to lift them with. i havent bought any in a few yrs so not sure on the price. the last job i used them on i bought 40 seems like them were about $40 each

Planman1954

what about stacking old cross ties?
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

tyb525

Or try your hand at a dry-laid stone wall :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pappy19

Look up some material called Presto Geoweb. It looks like a honey comb and made of nylon and the concept is called cellular confinement. You can fill the cells with any material; sand, gravel, dirt or concrete. It won't move out of the individual cells. You can overlap on top of itself. It's the best invention since sliced bread for erosion control and bank stabilization. Not that expensive.

http://www.prestogeo.com/geoweb
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

thecfarm

Whatever you decide to go with,you will need sand,gravel,small rocks behind the wall so the water will drain away and the frost won't move your wall. maybe a foot wide? I really don't know how much. I think small rocks,big as baseballs would work real good. This way the rocks will move instead of your wall. But probably the rocks are hard to come by. I have plenty.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Or just dirt, sloped fairly steep and grassed.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

If I was doing,there would be something behind it. That frost might tip the wall over or make it lean. I see some in Maine that was not done right. They look bad.
But I'm not the one doing it and it's not on my land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jdonovan

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on June 19, 2013, 10:36:45 AM
I'm thinking of building a short retaining wall to level out part of my property.  Ranging between 1' and 3' high over the span.  Would run probably about 50' long.

It seems like blocks are the way to go?  Also don't need to buy a big drill and spikes.   I had planned on running some deadman anchors with the lumber - which i knew would be a pain since i'm diggin by hand.  I don't see anything comparable for block-based walls.  At a max of 3' high (probably less) i'm hoping it doesn't matter. 

Generally the homeowner/garden wall product is only designed for 2' max height, including the 1 course of imbedment below grade, so in reality, they are only good for 18". Also most places that require building permits will require one of walls > 24"

You need to goto a structural wall product with geo-grid for tieback into the slope if you want a taller wall.

The other solution is to do a tiered wall. Build a 24" wall, go back 36" and build another up to 24" wall.... repeat as needed.

When walls are 150% of height apart they are considered separate walls for most building code purposes.

I've had a few disagreements with the local zoning group about this stuff, so I've figured out how to work within the laws/rules, and still get done what I wanted/needed to do.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the advice everyone.  Some good ideas

I was hoping to level off a specific area before a new fence gets installed next week so time is tight.

JDonovan - much appreciate the details you mention.  You bring up a good point that i didn't realize until early this morning when i was doing some reading on the HD site.  2' max height for the blocks is going to be cutting it close.  I had guestimated earlier and actually took rough measurements this morning.  I would say it's all under 2' except for a small section at the far end.  Not sure how much is under 18", probably most.

A tiered system would be great except that there are trees that would make a second tier impossible in the small area i have to work in...only about 10' from the proposed wall to the edge of the house and patio/deck.  The wall will step down away from the house and the grade is very gradual on one end and relatively steep at the other.

I wanted to get this done before the fencing so the fencing could be on flat ground, but it's looking less and less likely that i can get it done in time.  My day job is really starting to get in the way of all the stuff i need to do around the house :)

Thank You Sponsors!