iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roofing recommendation for new timberframe Barn

Started by beetle, February 22, 2004, 04:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beetle

I will be building a timber frame Barn this year and I am looking for advise on the roofing deck. The barn will have a traditional rafter and perlin plate system. I plan on using rough cut 1x for the deck with Galvanized roofing. For Galvanized roofing do I need a full deck or can I space the deck boards? I believe I have read where the decking should be solid for shingles and spaced for slate, but what about for Metal roofing? Thanks for your advise.

Jeff
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Steve

Don't know about your local codes but here (Hawaii) metal roofing is ithe norm for much of the island. Makes catching rainwater easier.
The code was for 2x3 or 4" perlins on 30" centers. They recently changed it to 24" on center.

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

etat

When using 1/ material for laths I always spaced them apart the length of a hammer.  (using the hammer and handle for spacer.  When using 2/ material appx. 24 inches will hold you pretty good, but always make sure if walking on to step on top of the laths or you take a chance of denting in the roofing, depending on how heavy metal you're using.  I 'never' really liked installing tin on anything further apart although many metal buildings around here using heavy metal sometimes have them apart as far as 4 foot.  makes me nervous.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Jim_Rogers

Have you researched the metal roofing companies recommendations?
I would try there, they should be able to advise the correct spacing or support system for your area.
Good luck with your project.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!