iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simmons red streak

Started by millstead, February 18, 2013, 08:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millstead

Does anyone use Simmons red streak blades. I was wondering what you guys think about them . I just bought six of them and I sawed some frozen white oak and they did a great job the saw shop is about 4 miles from me but they only sell wood master c blades and the red streaks. The wood master are &16.98 and the red streaks are $18.79  those are the only two blades they sell . Witch blades do you think is a better blade

kelLOGg

I have used Red Streaks for 10+ yrs. Not opposed to trying something else but I haven't had a compelling reason to change.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

paul case

I use those red streaks and really like them also. They sharpen well on my sharpener and I think the sharp last really well on them. I can get them delivered in a box of 20 for $18.10 each.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

The streaks are as good as any,I'd try the "C"s too and you decide on the best one for your mill.A vendor that close is handy. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

millstead

Paul what kind of sharpener do you have I have been thinking of getting one

WH_Conley

I used them several years ago. Cut fine and sharpened OK, til I had to set them. Had a lot of trouble with the hardened teeth breaking.
Bill

drobertson

I used red streaks back in 08' but found the gullet not deep enough for the large pine I was cutting, I still have some and even used them back last fall, resharps, they did good, I tried one of the lennox c sharps today and it was smoking the erc. very fast feed rate with as smooth as a finish I have seen from any blade. I know have and use wmz, simmons, lennox, and they all do well, and all sharpen well. I think every blade and saw run different in all sorts of situations.  We just have to find the right combination and go with it for as long as it lasts.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Brad_S.

I tried many brands through the 15 years I sawed for a living and always came back to the Red Streaks. They cut well and take a sharpening well. I had to retire some before they broke because they got too narrow to use anymore after all those sharpenings.

Woodmasters cut fine but broke much sooner than the Red Streaks on my mill. All mills are different, you may experience the opposite.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

paul case

EZ boardwalk with a cbn wheel. You can see it by clicking on the Icon in the column to the left.
If I was looking for an automatic sharpener I would take a serious look at TK.  PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

hackberry jake

I have used the red streaks and really like them for no more than they cost.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ladylake

I've tried other brands but  come back the Simonds.  They cut straight, sharpen really well, last a long time and are reasonable..    The gullet is real close to other every 10° blades that I've used .   Also don't have as much trouble with teeth breaking when setting as most brands. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Bill,try adjusting your setter so you bend the tooth a little lower and not just the hard tip. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Yes bend a bit lower but don't bend too low in the gullet as that is where blades like to break.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!