iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proper felling and bucking techniques.

Started by rusted, January 06, 2005, 03:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusted

I've been perusing this forum, as you may know I managed to burn up my old chainsaw but that won't stop me from wreaking more havoc.

Hopefully not though.  Being here has made me realize how little I know about felling.  I'm a firewood guy and I grew up scouting the woods up Luther, MI way looking for fallen trees to cut up.  I've done a fair amount of felling, and the technique I was taught and use is bascially this:

Scout out your tree, figure out which way it's going to lean.  Look for widow-makers.  Make a notch.  Make a backcut.  Get out of the way.

We have rarely run into a backspring or a barberchair, and we've never had any injuries.  But surfing this site makes me realize I know almost nothing aobout felling and bucking.

So how do I find out?  I've surfed for a while now and I'm still not getting a good complete picutre.  I don't always understand when guys talk about plunging and leaving a hinge, what a dutchman is, I don't know how to wedge (other than the recent wedge tips thread.)

Is there a book I can read?  I plan to cut several cord a year.  Mostly I do go for storm-downed trees, but we used to cut standing deadwood on a regular basis, and I understand that's a dangerous practice?

How can I get up to at least BASIC speed so I can learn properly from this site, and advance my knowledge out of the rudiments?

Kevin

I wish everyone would adopt your attitude.
The problem is everyone (including myself)at first thinks they know everything there is to know about using a chain saw safely because they have had one for years but there's much more to it than that.

You can get started here ...
http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/manual.html

Look for someone teaching a chain saw course in your local area, it's well worthwhile.

http://www.forestapps.com/program.html

spindrift

This is also a good place to start:

Fundamentals of General Tree Work by G.F. Beranek

Forest Industry

Thanks,
Spindrift

rusted

Thanks!  That OSHA link was awesome Kevin.

spindrift:  That looks like a book I want to have.  Can you believe Amazon wants $65 for it?  Great link.

Now I know what a Dutchman is, I can't count how many times I've done that and gone 'Ahh, good enough'.   ::)

WV_hillbilly

Rusted  

That book is only $ 29.95   from Bailey's   They also sell a good book titled   Professional Timber Falling  by D.Douglas Dent   . and its $ 14.95

WV Hillbilly
Hillbilly

rusted

That's what I should've said Hillbilly, that's a great link because the book is 45% of what Amazon wants.  I think I might get some wedges from there.  Thanks for the tip about that other book.

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

rusted

Quoterusted.....check this out ;D

:o Wow!  125 pages, and the illustrations are really good.

I can tell you right now, tomorrow when my Husky 350 arrives, I'm going to get some wedges before I start limbing and bucking that oak tree in my backyard.  I've already got it half-cut in my mind.   :D

Thanks for that!  8)

TreeSpyder

i actually paid for that book years ago!

Dent is the man on hinging i think.

i have my own hinging model, that all depends on pivots and leveraging the pulls and pushes of the tree.  This is thje beginning of that analysis http://www.mytreelessons.com/Supporting%20Wood.htm.

i think the CG in the lean is important to look to first, as it empowers allt he other forces, to either stand for or agianst you, by partially your craftsmanship with the saw on the face.

Sorry for the interuption; we now return you the normal image on your mental tv; with regular programming already in progress.

maple flats

A great place to learn felling and all other aspects of logging is to enrole in a Game Of Logging course. This is not only for professional loggers but rather anyone who cuts a tree and wants the best chance of living to tell about it.  smiley_nananana exclaim_smiley
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Lobo

Here is an excellent 101 basic tutorial from Jonsered. Husky also have basically the same one. It does take a minute or so to load.

http://www.usa.jonsered.com/files/documents/english_us/sawinstruction.pdf

Doc

Where can I find the "Game of Logging" course in Alabama?

I would be interested in taking that one for safety sake. I am kinda partial to being able to walk upright,and having my head on my shoulders. It has been there for 36 years and I woudl like to keep it there for another 36 or so more.

Doc

Thank You Sponsors!