iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quick question on crib construction

Started by CX3, October 19, 2010, 07:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Alright guys I have changed plans a little.  The old plan was to use cedar 2x4s for the corner uprights of the crib.  I am now going to use 5 inch diameter cedar logs.  I powerwashed them and sealed them.  They look really nice.

The question is how do I cut a pocket for the rest of the crib to fit on the logs squarely? I really need to know what kind of tool and how to make this work.  I hope this makes sense!!

This is a crib I built for a buddy.  Instead of the 2x4 legs, i am going to use the 5 inch logs.  Copy??

John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Jim_Rogers

Draw center lines on the ends of the posts, and transfer them done each side of the post that will have mortises on them. From the center line offset the sides the width of the mortise and make them the length of the mortise.
Flatten that area and use a drill and drill out the mortise.
Create tenon to match.

Good luck with your project.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

shad

I saw a really neat crib at an Amish furiture store. It started as a crib then the sides turn into a twin size bed headboard/footboard. It came with a changing table that when turned upside down turn into a chest of draws. 

jander3

Here is a photo that shows a mortise in a log.

I cut this one with a boring machine I purchased from Jim and then cleaned it up with a chisel; you can see more detail at the following:

http://peelinglogs.blogspot.com/2008/12/blog-post_28.html

You could this with a drill or T-handle auger bit.  You can do this without flattening, but depending on what you are doing, you might need to scribe the piece to the mortise.

Another option would be to lay out a couple of straight lines and cut a groove the length of the post with a chainsaw.

When I start with a round log, I normally snap four chalk lines on the work (base on plumb and level lines on the log end).  It allows you to use two squares and keep everything true.

CX3

Thanks guys.  Jander that really helped alot. I really need to get with jim and get some tools.   I have so much work in this thing already and havent even cut a board! I just want to make sure what is about to happen is supposed to happen type thing. 

Next question......How do I make my four legs sit squarely on the floor.  Is there a way to cut the ends of a tapered log just at 90 deg. 

Also be thinking of a way that I can "cap" the tops of the logs.  I dont want them cut off square.  I have seen a neat way of rounding them off.  It almost looks like someone took a mini hatchet or something and waned the edges a bit.  Please help with this also.  Many more questions to come. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

jander3

Secure your log.   On each end use a level and draw one line plumb and a second line level.   Then, use a chalk or ink line to snap four lines (you have to rotate the log to do so and make sure the lines on the log ends are plumb and level before snapping the line.

Once you have the lines, you work off of them to keep everything square.  If you use two squares you square off two lines and everything stays square.

You can get a general idea from the blog post below:

http://peelinglogs.blogspot.com/2009/09/preparing-for-ridge.html

Another way to make the logs sit flat is to hold them in the desired position (upright), tape a pencil to the top of 2" x 2" block.  Set the block on the floor and trace a line around the log.  Cut at the line and the post bottom will be level with the floor.

Thank You Sponsors!