iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what you think is a better saw husky 346xp or stihl ms 260 pro

Started by 567paloggger, January 16, 2010, 05:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawTroll

Quote from: downeast on May 24, 2010, 09:23:13 AM
There you go again R.J., cutting nude. ;D
No, nada, nothing for protection. No helmet, no gloves, sandals  :D(perhaps?), no chaps. Not only a bad example from a pro, but dangerous for Florida taxpayers when they have to pay for the EMTs and ER and FD.
The video is a kind of what not to do. :o

"Politically" incorrect - but he sure knows what he is doing, and the risk level in that sort of cutting is very low!   ;)
Information collector.

John Mc

While I'm a proponent of using the proper protective equipment, he does have hearing and eye protection. He's not felling and the risk of being hit from falling debris is minimal-to-nonexistent, so a helmet doesn't get him much. I'll occasionally do the same with my headgear when there are no overhead hazards - wearing a helmet for extended periods aggravates an old wrestling neck injury, resulting in a couple of trips to the chiropractor after a long session of helmet wearing (I still haven't figured out how something so light can throw my neck out of whack, but it does).

Rocky and I do share one habit that I've been trying to break myself of (with only partial success): laying your left thumb along the left hand grip, rather than wrapping it around for a more positive grip.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

downeast

Quote from: John Mc on May 24, 2010, 10:37:34 AM
While I'm a proponent of using the proper protective equipment, he does have hearing and eye protection. He's not felling and the risk of being hit from falling debris is minimal-to-nonexistent, so a helmet doesn't get him much. I'll occasionally do the same with my headgear when there are no overhead hazards - wearing a helmet for extended periods aggravates an old wrestling neck injury, resulting in a couple of trips to the chiropractor after a long session of helmet wearing (I still haven't figured out how something so light can throw my neck out of whack, but it does).
Rocky ad I do share one habit that I've been trying to break myself of (with only partial success): laying your left thumb along the left hand grip, rather than wrapping it around for a more positive grip.
John Mc

Sorry guys, if you're a "pro" don't demonstrate bad habits for the 1000's of neophytes that view this. Bad form.
Chainsaws are like firearms, explosives, jumping : no matter how experienced, you never know all that can kill you. Period. 1/2 a PPE is kinda like being ALMOST PREGNANT.
No one can handle kickback. No one, even Clark Kent. How fast is that chain (especially in the great super 346 ) running at WOT ?

"Politically" incorrect - but he sure knows what he is doing, and the risk level in that sort of cutting is very low! SawTroll

Don't know about that ST. How do we know that "he knows what he is doing" ? Does anyone really know what could be in that cut --say barbed wire, a 9mm round, spike ?

Feel free to use and cut any way you want, you're adults and free. But don't show bad practice. Politically correct now ? ;D

beenthere

Good video.
Sure, chaps and a ton of extra gloves, boots, helmet, face shield, ear muffs, and there will be more "PC" stuff to add to that list next year or soon after. (just give the rule-dreamers some time at their desk writing them up)

All the safety hype spends more of our money and the taxpayers money than ever could account for the medical bills. Albeit, I don't like to see blood either, and wear the chaps when it is not too warm. I don't think I'd ever get anything done with a saw if I were in FL.  :)

I also don't think piling all the paraphanelia and guilt trip on to the "neophytes" helps all too much either.  :)  JMO

Good video, and its purpose was to show the chainsaws cutting wood. Very well done..and I didn't detect any difference. Did you?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

Well if all the thousand of rookies and neophytes here will be permanently harmed by accidentally seeing me running a chainsaw without a helmet and chaps, then maybe I'm hanging out at the wrong forum. I didn't know this was Arboristsite.  ::)

Downeast, you are really starting to irritate me. Why don't you go take a long walk on a short pier. Or maybe I'll just quit contributing anything here and all you rookies can play amongst yourselves.
>:(

The single biggest drawback of this particular forum software is that there is no 'ignore' function to block out idiot users. If there were, then I could ignore you and you could ignore me since you don't seem to like me or my posts.

Cut4fun

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 24, 2010, 12:42:24 PM
Well if all the thousand of rookies and neophytes here will be permanently harmed by accidentally seeing me running a chainsaw without a helmet and chaps, then maybe I'm hanging out at the wrong forum. I didn't know this was Arboristsite.  ::)

Downeast, you are really starting to irritate me. Why don't you go take a long walk on a short pier. Or maybe I'll just quit contributing anything here and all you rookies can play amongst yourselves.
>:(

Tell'm Rocky. I cant  stand  smiley_thumbsdown smiley_furious ppe police.

I agree he would fit right in with those clowns over there.  dadgum you, Charlie!

Just make the video's and have fun like I do,  smiley_hanged the ppe police.

Maybe he would like the one video I just made with 30" bar cutting 21" and NO chain break, no hand guard or safety crap on saw. Wearing sweatpants, no gloves, no face shield, no hard hat, no hearing protection. Take a flying hike off a tall building dude.  :-*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqXOHsQE3Wk

ladylake

I'd be wearing hearing protection with that saw.  That big Dolmar cuts.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

beenthere

Nice to hear a saw when it is working well in the cut.  :)

Steve
I didn't hear what you said..  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

I know what you mean , I can't hear good out of my left ear from trap shooting when I was younger without muffs. I'm going to try and keep the right ear hearing good.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on May 24, 2010, 02:36:04 PM
Nice to hear a saw when it is working well in the cut.  :)

Steve
I didn't hear what you said..  ;D

I never wear hearing protection when running saws, I like the sound of them, and want to hear what is happening.

My hearing was destroyed by rock music and guns, not by saws!
Information collector.

downeast

Quote from: Rocky_J on May 24, 2010, 12:42:24 PM
Well if all the thousand of rookies and neophytes here will be permanently harmed by accidentally seeing me running a chainsaw without a helmet and chaps, then maybe I'm hanging out at the wrong forum. I didn't know this was Arboristsite.  ::)

Downeast, you are really starting to irritate me. Why don't you go take a long walk on a short pier. Or maybe I'll just quit contributing anything here and all you rookies can play amongst yourselves.   >:(

The single biggest drawback of this particular forum software is that there is no 'ignore' function to block out idiot users. If there were, then I could ignore you and you could ignore me since you don't seem to like me or my posts.

Hey boy, you deserve being "irritated". Who cares. The point: too many of you brag about being oh so pro. Act it. In this system taxes pay for emergency care. You all can wear what the H you want. Please sign the form that says:" since I am too stupid to use simple protection, I will not accept any free care. I will pay for private EMTs, the private ambulance, the ER.' Signed and notarized by Mr Rocky J. And that includes Norway!

Why would anyone want to hire fools with risky behavior on their property ? ::) No one we know. 

Forget guilt. You want to pout about being "liked" ?  Poor baby. Your posts can be informed, can be Forest Gump. Not important.

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way." Lead means lead. And the others who agree with the Rocky show, fine. You're free.  ;)

Idiot out.  ;D

JohnG28

I think all this is going a little too far.  If you dont care for someone here its easy enough to ignore them, but no need to antagonize people just for the sake of doing so.  Come on guys, we are all adults here, and if some of us choose to do something one way or another, thats that persons business. Is PPE a good thing, yes, and using PPE has its obvious benefits.  But if a guy chooses not to, its their business.  Sure its bad practice, and the risks are obvious, and yes its a bad thing to push on others, but no need for all this. Nobody is condoning unsafe practice here. I have and use chaps, gloves, helmet...but if I have a quick cut or two, Im confident that my use of caution and knowing what im doing will most likely be enough. And Im not a pro, not even close.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

Quote from: JohnG28 on May 25, 2010, 04:46:16 PM
...   Im confident that my use of caution and knowing what im doing will most likely be enough. And Im not a pro, not even close.

Exactly - the most important PPE is your brain anyway!   8) 8) 8)
Information collector.

Jeff

Okay, here it is. Once, plain and simple.

I do not want to see this sort of behavior on my forum. PERIOD.  I don't want to hear its his fault. I don't want to hear He started it. I don't want to hear anything.  You all know how I run the Forestry Forum and each one of you know that this exchange is well beyond anything I'll tolerate.   
One more word, one more exchange in public like this and I'll just start banning the ability to post and there may be a good chance that its You I ban (whoever you happens to be). If you feel the need to tell one another how much you love each other, do it in private.

You must enjoy something about this forum or you would not be here mucking it up, so DONT MUCK IT UP. I won't stand for anybody that wants to alter the family atmosphere I've tried to maintain for almost a decade now.

Go to your rooms little boys before daddy gets the belt.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ihookem

Wow, Jeff , I actually heard my dad's voice for a second in the middle of my flashback.

Thank You Sponsors!