iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I just order a frame or track down a builder?

Started by Doug_D, July 08, 2021, 10:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug_D

Hey guys, I got some land outside of Chattanooga and would like to put up some small 14'x26' timber frame cabins.  Anyone know of a company I could just order a timber frame from?  You guys ever heard of doing such a thing?

What about just hiring someone to cut the frame and then ship to me?  Is that crazy idea?

I am just trying to come up with ideas for unique cabins. 

I did a treehouse last year and looking to do something "different" again.

Thanks!
Doug
Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

Ljohnsaw

I know that @Jim_Rogers has cut and shipped a frame once or twice.  He also has some plans available.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Don P

That is done often. You or the TF company needs to have a talk with the building official to see what they need for plans, engineering and grading, if anything.

samandothers

Do a search for timberframers in the area.  There were some in Ashville NC and Franklin NC area.  Maybe some closer to Chattanooga.

flyingparks

Scott at Grand Oaks Timber Framing School isn't far from the area. I believe he's in Lebanon. Look him up. If you want his info send me a message.

Doug_D

Thank you for that.  I am going to try and track him and that school down.  

Our adventure in Building a Log Cabin Rental Business!
www.cabinstartup.com

logman

LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Carpenter

I could cut a frame for you.  Frames are shipped all over the world.  Right now I'm in Central Illinois, I'm a recently unemployed, (hopefully soon to be self employed timber framer).  I'm pretty good at what I do, and I would love to help you out with your project.

Brad_bb

You could use any timberframe company.  They can cut and test fit in their shop and ship to your job site.  If you don't have experience, I'd strongly consider having them put it up.  They will install the knife plates on the foundation (you need to work with them and the designer and probably engineer on the foundations), and erect the frame.  They have experience so when there's an issue, they have the experience to quickly solve it.  If too much time goes by between cutting and raising, some timbers may move and thus need adjustment at the raising.  Having experience pegging is also important.  getting the right fit, fixing pegs that get damaged going in etc.

You will have a lot of legwork ahead of time no matter what type of building you put up.  Foundation, excavating, soil test, building department plan approvals, inspections etc.  You also need to get the design of the structure before you cut the frame.  What wood will be used?  Design out every detail before you ever finalize the frame/cabin/foundation etc.  You need to layout your bathroom, electrical(do the plan with a good electrician -I ran conduit over the top of the roof in a spaced chase to get to all the ceiling fixtures on both sides of the roof), plumbing,furniture etc.  You need to make sure you have sufficient space for everything and room to install it.  Are you going to do a timberframe and then frame 2x walls over it(that's what I do).  What insulation?  

Tips, don't have rafter tails sticking beyond the wall.  If you want the look of the rafter tails sticking out, put them on the outside separately so you don't break the envelope of the building.   Install plenty of wall outlets.  Big mistake people always make is not putting enough.  Make sure you don't have braces interfering with door or window openings.  Use a curved brace for more headroom if needed at the bottom of stairs etc.  For interior walls, don't center your braces or they will get covered by drywall.  Locate them on one side or the other, or use a extra wide one that will be seen from both sides or dual brace pairs.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!