iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Log Truck, Business Plan

Started by luke, February 18, 2004, 06:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Hi Noront

Here in New Brunswick they can only get 12 -15 cord on their trailors and they charge $30/cord for trucking. Most of these folks make at least two trips a day. So, $720 to $900 per day isn't bad. Trucking distance is within 100 miles of most mills. If they go further its usually with higher valued stuff so they get more $$ per cord or mbfm. Our local Forest Products Marketing Board pays the trucker from the delivered wood money before the contractor or woodlot owner see's his payment. This was started some time ago because some of the truckers were getting stiffed or had to chase around for their pay. So this measure had snubbed that hassle over night.  :)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Frickman

Noront and Jeff, I love the jokes. I always figured that the truck drivers sholud be making more money than anyone else, on account they drive up and down the road all day seeing what everyone else is doing. They got lots of time to think sitting in the truck coming up with new schemes.

We also contract out most of our trucking. We have kept a small single axle truck for local trips. It is more cost effective for us to hire out the trucking, as we only pay for the capacity we need. We don't have to deal with the DOT either.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Noront

Did you hear about the trucker who won a million bucks. He was being interviewed on t.v. and the reporter asked him what he was going to do with the cash.I'm going to pay some bills he says,what about the rest asked the reporter, screw em said the trucker there just going to have to wait. :D :D
    Swamp donkey my log trailer was built in N.B., it's a B.W.S.  I don't know how big of company they are but they tried selling trailers in Thunder Bay for awhile. I really can't complain about being a trucker usually it's pretty good,i haul for one outfit that contracts to bowater and it's a short haul compared to some around here plus it's a union job so i get my hourly wage and benefits plus the truck pay. The big thing a hate about hauling wood is the spring thaw, it gets nice and warm so we have to haul at night which means trying to sleep when it' nice and sunny and driving on bush roads that the frost is coming out of at night. All that i can say is that it's great to be a northerner

SwampDonkey

Noront:

Yes, BWS (Bernie's Welding Shop) makes all the log trailors around here. The company isn't like General Motors by a long shot, its just a big welding shop in town here. Thomas Equipment is the largest in town, they make skid steer loaders, mini escavators, potato harvesting and handling equipment and so on. Then there is Metalfab that make fire trucks and telescopic bin pilers for all over.

Yup those old woods roads get pretty sloppy around here to untill mid-may. They're going to dry out quicker this year, no snow, but 30 inches of frost. :D ;D

'If the women don't find ya handsome, at least they'll find ya handy. Keep yer stick on the ice, were rooted'n for ya." Red Green :D

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ADfields

It's a 378 Duane, 379 is the long hood and 378 is that hood thats kinda sloped off. ;)   Ain't mine, it lives over to my buddy's place down the road.   Sounds like you got road hard and put up wet about like I did. ::)

Noront, It's only funny till you are THAT guy, then you about cry at that joke! :'( ::) :-/   But I can smile big now  ;D I got no DanG trucks no more! ;D ;D :) :)
Andy

SKIDDERBABY

I don't know if you have already made up your mind but I just found this message so I will put my two cents in. I'm in Alabama so I don't know what your market is like but down here this is shortage of DEPENDABLE contract truck drivers.I contract out all of my hauling and after dealing with some real jokers have finally found some good trucks. You have got to have a good name and relationship with your local loggers in order to work at all. Like loggers, contract truck have got a bad name because of a few bad people. As a logger, I look for a truck that will be there everyday, haul as much as he can, and do a minimum of complaining. There is nothing worse to me than the truck driver that whines to me that he ain't making no money because something I have broke down. I know he ain't making no money but I ain't neither and I have a lot more to complain about thatn he does. At least he ain't trying to pay 5 people while no money is being made. Everyone who makes their living off a logging crew  is eating off the same plate. Most loggers I know, if the trucks help them out and don't run off just because they don't like something the loggers will help them out. My trucks have stuck with me thru thick and thin and and I help them out any way I can. Loyalty is a precious in logging. I will reward loyalty before just about anything. Here is my suggestion for finding out about the availability of work. I don't know how it is in your area, but down here us loggers have to operate thru wood dealers/foresters in order to deliver wood. If it's the same way in your area, trying talking to a dealer that operates around where you want to be hauling. That person ought to know if any of his loggers need trucks and can put you in touch with someone who might give you work. If not, try finding out if there are any state logger associations in your area. that would at least give you names to check with. Before you talk to a bank, find out if there's any work for you. You will impress a bank more if you go in with a job already lined up.

Thank You Sponsors!