iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reseeding Ash?

Started by ButchC, August 25, 2017, 09:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ButchC

Hello, When EAB went through the area several years ago they didnt miss one single tree in my woods. I got most of them cut down before the wood rotted. Now at several (but not nearly all) of the stumps there are dozens of live shoots. None of the trees that I didnt get cut have any shoots on them.  I assume it would be a good thing to leave the stumps alone that have shoots so they can  grow and re seed?  Should I try to thin them or just let ma nature do her thing? Thanks!
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

PA_Walnut

Curious about this too. EAB wiped-out most here, including a few ash on my grounds. I hope to replant some more, and some walnuts to help my kids pay off the debt I'll leave them! LOL!  :D 8) :-*
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

TKehl

Nothing wrong with letting them grow.  There are still some old Chestnut stumps that put up shoots.

My opinion is things will eventually reach an equilibrium or perhaps resistant trees may be found for eventual recolonization.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!