iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a good hatchet

Started by scgargoyle, November 14, 2006, 04:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

I'm in the market for a quality hatchet or small axe. I've looked at the sorry offerings at the big box stores, but I want a lifetime tool. In looking online, I stumbled across Gransfors Bruks, apparently the Rolls Royce of axes. There are also a number of other hand-forged tools out there- Snow & Neally, Cold Steel, Norlund, and a bunch of others I can't think of offhand. Any of you have any experience w/ quality, traditional axes? I'm looking for something I can carry in the woods; swing one-handed much of the time, for small trimming, cutting, and splitting duties- I would call it a camp axe.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Radar67

I'm a little partial to the new Fiskars axe. They also have a hachet versin. It is sharp, also easy to sharpen and has a lifetime warranty on the handle.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

my fiskars works pretty good for me, but since I like to chop nails and rocks in half, maybe my input isn't too valid...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

sc
There are hatchet's and small (cruiser) axe's in Bailey's (one of our sponsors - click on them to the left here). Cruisers axe''s usually have shorter handles than regular axe's. I assume you want a single bit, but you didn't say.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Saki

Might also want to take a look at local flea markets, garage sales, auctions etc. You may be able to come up with a good condition older tool there at a resonable price. Most times a new handle will be more than you have to give for the tool.Some of my favorite older brands are bluegrass, mann, vancamp, and plumb. From the description of how you are going to use it, you may want to do a search or try to find a " camp axe " or " youth axe " or " boys axe " most of these will have a 2 to 2&1/2 pound head and basically be a scaled down version of a typical single bit felling axe. From my experience, most of the older tools that are old enough to have a manufacturers stamp will probably be a good match for what you are after. Best of luck.

Furby

Wasn't LogRite working on one?

CHARLIE

Lee Valley Tools sells Gränsfors Axes from Sweden.  They have about 6 sizes.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=20129&cat=1,41131,43408
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Weekend_Sawyer

I bought a nice short axe from Baileys. To check them out click the link on the left.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Quartlow

I'll make another vote for the fiskars. I bought one about 3 years ago and it's still going. If I haven't broke it yet that says something!  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

beenthere

Sure does Quartlow.  :)
I've had a hatchet going on 44 years when I bought it at an auction, and haven't broke it yet either  ;D ;D

(and I've even used it )
south central Wisconsin

Part_Timer

Watch for an old Boy Scout hatchet.  Ebay sometimes carries them.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Quartlow

BT I'll go one better, I abuse mine  :D  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

beenthere

;D ;D
Mine survived two boys........ ::)  ;D
south central Wisconsin

Tom

You must've made them put a cover on it.  :D

beenthere

;D  Touche'  ;D

This is one like my Dad had when we were growing up. Good for chicken head chops, and even for cutting down one of two Chinese elm (that I thought were dead, and after chopping through one about 10-11 diam, and getting half way through the other, my mother yelled out asking what in the world I was doing. ??  My response that I was cutting them down because they were dead prompted her frustrated response that they were just covered with seed, and only looked dead  ::) ::) ::)  ). 

Good hatchet though. I was glad to get one just like it.

south central Wisconsin

mikeandike

Yeah Fiskers is a great product and I use the axe and the hatchet
a lot. For what you want this is the thing at a good price.
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

Bibbyman

Here is a good hatchet.  Sorry,  I couldn't find a name of the manufacture on it.  It belonged to Mary's late brother.  It's one of the few personal items we have of his.  We use it by the wood stove to split up kinding.  My son Chris wants it bad but we won't let him take it out of the house.  Someday maybe it'll be his.  If he's good.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Sprucegum

This is my Oxhead Boys Axe that I bought for my first job in the bush way back when.

I like it for limbing and light clearing.
I also bought a Fiskar hatchet a couple months ago and I like fine for.....well....for hatcheting stuff.

beenthere

Bibby
That one looks close to the Estwing hatchet, referred to as a sportsmans hatchet, with leather handle. I've one similar. A bit light-weight for chopping wood, or sharpening poles or stakes, IMO.

The old one with wood handle that I have is what I grew up to know as a 'hatchet', but looks like it is designed for pounding nails and even removing nails. Probably more of a construction axe. Has a very fine edge, good weight to it, and stays razor sharp.

What I've known as a Cruiser's axe (ie cruising timber) has a 24" handle, and a design like a Hudson Bay camping axe (from Forestry Suppliers Catalog). This one below is a Collins.

Also,I have one from Boy Scout Days similar to Sprucegums hatchet he shows. Seems the Army Surplus stores had similar ones too, but don't know if that meant Army issue.
south central Wisconsin

ScottAR

I second the Estwing...  They also make an 18" and 24" "camper's" axe.
Has same head more or less; perhaps a little larger. Has the blue foam handles instead of the leather wrap. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Bibbyman

Years ago when my two sons were about 10 and 12, they kept using my axe.  Anytime I went to use it, it was gone or dull.  So one summer I include an axe for each as birthday gifts.  I got the youngest a single bit axe much like the Boy Scout you picture but it was called a Hudson Bay.  I got the other a very nice double bit with that was about 3/4 size as a normal axe.  The head was maybe 2 lbs and handle around 30 inches. 

I kept after them to keep them found and put back when they were done using them.  That lasted for a year.  The second summer while I was plowing I had them deadening thorny locus and such around the edge of the field.  But they'd slip off and play in the creek. When it was time to start to the house,  neither of them could find their axe or remember where they had them last. We searched for a good long while and I went back and searched again later.  I've even went down to the area years later and searched with a metal detector.  They did a good job of loosing them.  >:(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

beenthere

Bibby
That is the Cruisers axe with 24" handle that you showed in your last post. The Boy Scout hatchet is like the one sprucegum pictured. It's the similar size as the Estwing steel handle and a very handy camp hatchet.
I think about scanning the area with a metal detector like Bibby, to find the tools I think my boys left out in there 'hideouts', but probably I left as many in my woods endeavors as they did in theirs.  :)  In fact, I still lose tools and the boys have been out of the house for 20 years.  Aliens maybe?
south central Wisconsin

scgargoyle

I really like the Estwings w/ the leather handles, but all of mine cracked and fell apart (the leather). I have a splitting maul which I rarely used, but the leather fell off that, too. You used to be able to send them back to Estwing to be re-gripped; I wonder if you still can? I'm watching some axes/hatchets on eBay; lots to choose from. Those spendy Swedish ones, like Gransfors Bruks, are supposed to be sharp enough to use like a knife! Another one is S.A. Wetterling, which looks a lot like GB, and half the price. I'm still not sure on a size- the 19" can be used one-handed or two; anything shorter is strictly one hand. What I'd really like is to find a quality head, and put a new handle on it. I like the old-timey, traditional stuff!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

DanG

Quote from: scgargoyle on November 17, 2006, 05:01:37 PM
What I'd really like is to find a quality head, and put a new handle on it. I like the old-timey, traditional stuff!

Me too!  I have several nice old axes that I put new handles in.  You can find them at flea markets on the junk tables.  Believe it or not, I've found some of the best ones at antique stores, for reasonable prices.  The best one I have is a double bit Plumb that is in new condition.  Got it in an antique store for $25, and it doesn't appear to have ever been used. ;D  I also have a really nice old single bevel hatchet that I got at the same place.  I mostly use it for splitting kindling.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!