iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Kohler engine questions

Started by delvis, May 26, 2015, 11:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delvis

Is anyone using the Kohler 38 horsepower engine?  (I believe Kohler has re-labeled this engine as 36 hp).  Our engine runs great as it always has but this spring I noticed there is a slight oil leak at the front of the engine.  It looks to me like it may be leaking from the crankcase cover on the back of the motor.

Has anyone else had this issue?

How many hours can I expect to get from this engine with regular synthetic oil changes and clean air filters?
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

bkaimwood

I don't have this particular engine, but have noticed many Kohler twin crank seal failures over the years...don't overlook that seal...
bk

xlogger

I have the 34 kohler on my TK and it has a leak on rear of motor (little over 1000 hours). I understand that kohler over rated this engine.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

octam1

Our LT40 Super has the Kohler 38 on it, no oil leaks on ours but if you have some basic mechanical skills you should be able to change the crank seal without a whole lot of trouble...

We have 1500 hours on ours and not a lick of problems with it, we change oil/filter & fuel filter regularly, run a bigger oil filter than the stock one, keep the engine blown out clean and free of sawdust, as well as the oil cooler... We use synthetic oil as well and check the oil level very regularly...

If you service the engine regularly there is no reason it should die an early untimely death
KnottHead Custom Sawing & FabWorx
Ceres/Twain Harte CA.

WoodMizer LT40SHDG38 w/AS2 & Debarker
Lucas 8-20 Swinger w/60" Slabber & Planer
Solar/Dehumidifier Kiln in the worx
Stihl - 2x 026's, 044, 046, 2x 066, MS660, 2x 088 & 3x 075AV

Thank You Sponsors!