iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP , STIHL 028AVE OLD STYLE CHAIN SPROCKET (not the drum type)

Started by mainewoodcuttah, June 29, 2008, 03:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainewoodcuttah

:-[ :-[ :-[   Hi got the bad news saturday, my stihl (1981) 028 (sn 8682727)has the old type chain sprocket. (not the drum type)  it is about the size of a silver dollar and has a 7 tooth star on the front and 2 lugs on the back.  stihl says NLA SORRY... does any one know where i can get a new, or like new used sprocket.

runs like new what a shame to go this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

MAINEWOODCUTTAH'
We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. I've done so much for so long, with so little, I'm now qualified to do anything, with nothing, forever.

jakell2010

ebay,,,,,,,a guy called chainsawsalvadge, he gets me parts for my husky 262,,,,,,,17 y/o ;)

Reddog

mike_van

This link http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=stihl++028+sprocket&category0=   will get you an ebay page, there's a few on there.  If you aren't 100% sure it's the right one,  use the 'ask seller a question' tab.  Returns are a pain for both parties.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

mainewoodcuttah

BOTH REFERALS WERE FOR THE HUB TYPE SPROCKET, MY SPROCKET IS NOT ATTACHED TO A HUB/CLUTCH DRUM   JUST HAS TWO DRIVEBARS ON BACK THAT FITS INTO A RECEIVER ON THE END OF THE CRANKSHAFT.

THANKS.....
We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. I've done so much for so long, with so little, I'm now qualified to do anything, with nothing, forever.

Kevin

If you can't locate one you might consider taking it to a high school with a machine shop as a last resort and ask the shop teacher to have a student make it a project.
Any shop can reproduce it but the cost would be on the high side although you can always get an estimate.

thecfarm

Looks like we have 2 new members.Welcome to the forum mainewoodcuttah and jakell2010.You will like it here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_van

That ebay link I posted, email any of those dealers, they may just have one that isn't listed. I've bought from Saw Salvage, CheapStihlparts, & others. If you do a little 'digging' one will turn up -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Al_Smith

What you are talking about is a replacable spur type .The 038 used them as well as the 042 .You can replace that thing with a one piece which is part number118-640-2001.If you do though you need oiler gear 118-642-1506 because the old one won't work on the one piece spur .

That replacable spur is number118-642-1205 in case you might find one .

mainewoodcuttah

;Dthanks for all the responces  finally found a dealer in pennsylvania  that knows his stuff. the whole kit and kaboodle to change it over is stihl p/n 1128/007/1029
bout fourty dollars  kit includes new clutch cover with sprocket, new oil gear and a cover to hide the whole thing.    8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)  watch out trees!!!!!!!!

Al_Smith

Good for you .

In dealing with older stuff you will find that if you look hard enough there are repair parts . It does though become a challange at times .

Then there are a few of us that just got disqusted looking for the Proverbial needle in the haystack and make our own parts but that is an entirely different subject alltogether .

Captain

Oregon also sells a complete kit to replace the parts down to the oiler drive as well.

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!