iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chicken Chili

Started by Tom, March 21, 2009, 07:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Gael is on a health kick.  They usually last about 3 weeks.  The other day she made Chicken Chili.  I thought it was OK.  I didn't know it was Chicken Chili when I ate it, but knew something was different.  I was hoping that it was a passing recipe and know better than to say I don't like it.  At best I get away with a studied look, a pause and "This is different.  I think I like your other recipe better."

Well, she fixed it again tonight.  What some people, who are hung up on alternate meat sources, don't know is that Fowl tastes foul when it hasn't been cleaned propery.  Now and again we get a chicken from the market that tastes of feathers, or has an "off" taste to it.   Usually I won't eat it.

Tonight, I had to eat it.  She is too proud of her Chicken recipe that doesn't have chili powder in it, even though the things that the recipe calls for were omitted or changed.  The Canned Stewed tomatoes turned into just canned tomatoes and the visual presentation was coils of fowl that looked just like they had just come from the grinder and were tough as spaghetti.  I think it was the taste of wet feathers that caused me to say, "this tastes like sh%(&*". 

fstedy

I make it for the wife but I use a my regular Chili recipe and substitute cubed chicken breast. Tastes pretty good but I still prefer beef.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

ErikC

Sarah makes a white chicken chile sometimes. It is very good. Maybe not that healthy, it is a heavy cream sauce. But it is made with a lot of chiles, chile powder, cubed white meat chicken, and kidney beans.   Red chile should be made with red meat, IMO.  :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Radar67

How about posting the recipe Erik? That sounds good.  :)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ErikC

Sarah got this from the magazine Taste of Home

1 lb boneless chicken breast, cubed 1/2 inch
1 medium onion, chopped
1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cans great northern beans
1 can chicken broth
2  4 oz cans chopped green chiles
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream

In a large saucepan, saute chicken onion and garlic powder in oil until no longer pink. Add beans, broth, chiles and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and whipped cream. Serve immediately.

One time she put 2 cans jalepenos instead of chiles. :o A little too hot for us, some might like it that way.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

clif

Erik, we use the same recipe but use halibut which is free ( it is  against the law to include the cost of catching the fish)   :D and it is great tasting. We call it white chili.
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

WH_Conley

Hey Tom. Statements might bring reenactments of a religeous event. "The Last Supper".
Bill

Tom

That's why I try to be so diplomatic most of the time, WH.   :D

ErikC

Quote from: Tom on March 21, 2009, 07:04:20 PM
The Canned Stewed tomatoes turned into just canned tomatoes and the visual presentation was coils of fowl that looked just like they had just come from the grinder and were tough as spaghetti.  I think it was the taste of wet feathers that caused me to say, "this tastes like sh%(&*". 

I have made similar statements on a rare occasion, but they weren't called diplomatic. Guess I better let her know she has the definitions all wrong. That kind of thing can cause misunderstandings and confusion, and we can't stand for that!!  hurt_smiley

Modat22

I've had Chili with chicken, ham, steak, snake, shelled crawdads, and hamburg.

By far my favorite used charcoal grilled steak cubed up and smoked ham.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!