iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clogger pants

Started by sumpnz, January 17, 2021, 11:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philbert

The 'Clogger' name was a play on the word 'Logger', and what the protective material does: 'clog' up the saw, stopping the chain.

The protective ability of pants varies, just like it does for chaps.  In the US, we pretty much have one level of protection: pass/fail.  In some other countries, there are different levels of protection (chain speed) and coverage.  The Clogger website has some 'white papers' that compare the different standards (not sure that I can link those here).

I was always a chaps guy: put them on when needed, then took them off.  I tried a pair of $70 Jonsered pants many years ago, and did not like them: felt like rain pants with padding.  The newer protective pants are much better, but as noted, quite a bit more expensive.

Apparently, pants are the standard protection used in Europe.  And guys who work in trees like them, because straps get tangled in branches. Some tree guys think that they make a professional appearance for customers.

Your bottom line might be affected preference, use, and budget: but choose something that you will actually wear, or they don't offer any protection at all.

Philbert

John Mc

Has anyone on here actually used BOTH the Clogger brand and the Pfanner Gladiator Ventilation pants? I'm curious how you think they compared.

Years ago I had an old navy blue pair of Husqvarna chainsaw pants. I liked them OK, but they felt a bit bulky and were only comfortable in cooler weather, so when I grew out of them (and I do mean grew "out", not up), I went back to full-wrap chaps.

I've been considering buying a pair of the Pfanners for a few years now. A friend has some and loves them. One of the reasons for leaning that way over some other brands is that they are available in a shorter length (I'm 5' 8", and the regular length of most chainsaw pants is just too long for me.) IF Clogers are available in a short version, I'd consider them as well.

I'm also wondering about the waist size on the Pfanners: I've seen several comments, including one on the Treestuff website that they may tend to run a bit small. From the sizing chart, the Medium Short would fit me perfectly. Jumping up to a large adds another 2.5" to the waist, which seems excessive to me. Unfortunately, no one sells them around me, so I'd have to do mail order and take my chances. What have those who have actually worn the Pfanners found? Does the waist size listed in their chart seem to match what you'd expect for fit, or did you need to go up a size?

Lastly: are either of this listed as being machine washable? (I have a front-load washer, if that makes a difference. It's supposed to be easier on clothing: no center agitator to wind up around.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Real1shepherd

And you have to be honest about your waist size, let's face it. We'd all like to wear 32-34 again, but with most of us, it ain't gonna happen....lol!

On pants like these, you're not gonna want your gut to hang over the pants too much.....even with suspenders.

If I pay this much for pants, they will be washed off with a hose and mild detergent and let line dry outside. If you had to wash them inside, yes, use a front loader with mild detergent on the 'gentle' setting and line dry.

I ruined a very expensive tent once with a top-loading washer....never again. Agitator tore it a new butt.

Kevin

Philbert

Quote from: John Mc on January 27, 2021, 07:33:00 AMOne of the reasons for leaning that way over some other brands is that they are available in a shorter length

Clogger offers custom sizing, and 'short' versions on some products.  You really have to read their website carefully, or ask them questions.  *They also offer Woman's specific sizing in some products*, which can be hard for female arborists to find.

It is always best to be able to try on anything you wear (boots, pants, etc.).  If you order by mail, be sure to check return policies (time, who pays shipping, etc.).

Quote from: John Mc on January 27, 2021, 07:33:00 AMLastly: are either of this listed as being machine washable?

This is really important, IMO.  I work with a number of volunteer groups that share PPE (a separate topic).  So, we use chaps, which are easier to share and fit. But regardless of pants or chaps, sometimes you walk through a cow pasture, or are exposed to poison ivy, or things just get rank, and it's hard to hand wash these effectively (I lay mine down in a bathtub with shallow water).

I have spoken to a few different manufacturers about machine washing, and they have 2 concerns:
1) Mechanical agitation of the machine might cause the loose fibers (designed to pull out easily when snagged by the chain) to pull free and bunch up, reducing coverage.  Your front-load washer is a better machine for this,

2) A lot of the fibers used are affected by heat, so hot water, or a hot dryer, can damage the fibers, or cause them to shrink.

My Clogger products say something like,'machine wash - warm, gentle cycle, and line dry'.  The STIHL (USA - yes, it varies by country!) chaps are the only ones I know of that recommend machine washing and machine drying.  Check the labels on your chaps or pants.  *Never use bleach* on any of these: it can degrade the fibers.

Philbert

Tacotodd

NOW I'm really interested in the Stihl version. I've been eyeing them for some time now, but my wife will have a cow (since I've already bought some chaps, even if it was a year back).
Trying harder everyday.

DHansen

I looked at Clogger and Husqvarna pants today.  Husqvarna have the buttons for the suspenders already attached.  One set has a Velcro and loop style and includes the suspenders.  $240.00 to $330.00 US depending on style and color.

DHansen

I think I will try a pair of the Husqvarna black and grey pants they have listed and are calling Technical Pants.  Not sure what the name means.  They show an arborist pant and another less expensive option.  The orange ones seem less weight, more expensive and come with suspenders.  But I already have enough suspenders.  I want protection from chain contact.  Knee and ankle area.  Just don't want to have an issue where I am saying I wish I had been wearing better pants.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: DHansen on January 27, 2021, 08:03:32 PMI think I will try a pair of the Husqvarna black and grey pants they have listed and are calling Technical Pants.

These are what I use. 

DHansen

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on January 29, 2021, 04:01:37 PM
Quote from: DHansen on January 27, 2021, 08:03:32 PMI think I will try a pair of the Husqvarna black and grey pants they have listed and are calling Technical Pants.

These are what I use.
I picked up a pair today. The Husqvarna Black and Grey Technical Pants.  Suspender buttons are factory installed and the dealer put suspender in the box for the pants.  They are supposed to be purchased separately.  They come up on my back about 2" above the belt line, which I like.  Hopefully I will never need to report on how well they stopped a chain!   If I had paid full list for both pants and suspenders it would have been about $280.00 with tax.   The dealer here is more than fair with his pricing.

DHansen

Pants are a product of Mexico and the suspenders are made in Sweden.  We will see how they function on Saturday supposed to be hovering at about 0° F.  I think I'll need some sort of liner.

DHansen

I really like the quality of the pants.  I would recommend finding better suspenders.  The suspenders work and are comfortable, but I'd have preferred a better quality to match the quality of the pants.  Leather ends instead of the plastic fiber material.  We'll see after a year how they hold up.  I will modify the suspenders to meet my needs.

tawilson

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 24, 2021, 10:18:39 AM
Yeah, clip-ons are for grandpas that don't work anymore. This grandpa has to work. Madsen's also sells button kits and good performing suspenders.

I was just curious if any of these high-dollar pants came with the buttons installed.

Kevin
My Stihl pants have them.
And they are black.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

John Mc

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 22, 2021, 07:52:53 PMAll the other major players struck me as too stiff and klugey and ORANGE. If I take it hard in the woods, they can find me by other means than my orange pants

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 23, 2021, 01:32:24 PMI like your comments about color....I too don't want to be a living billboard for orange pants. Like you, if they gotta come find me, I really don't think the orange pants will make any difference.

I don't wear the bright pants so someone can find me if I get hurt. I wear them because I want to increase the chances of not getting hurt in the first place. I view them like wearing safety orange in the woods during hunting season. I often find myself working with others out in the woods. The largest groups are when some of us get together after a major storm to do storm damage clean up on our neighborhood trail system. But I'm also frequently out with one or two others. Anything that makes people more aware of where I am is a plus in my book.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Real1shepherd

Quote from: John Mc on February 12, 2021, 08:56:47 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 22, 2021, 07:52:53 PMAll the other major players struck me as too stiff and klugey and ORANGE. If I take it hard in the woods, they can find me by other means than my orange pants

Quote from: Real1shepherd on January 23, 2021, 01:32:24 PMI like your comments about color....I too don't want to be a living billboard for orange pants. Like you, if they gotta come find me, I really don't think the orange pants will make any difference.

I don't wear the bright pants so someone can find me if I get hurt. I wear them because I want to increase the chances of not getting hurt in the first place. I view them like wearing safety orange in the woods during hunting season. I often find myself working with others out in the woods. The largest groups are when some of us get together after a major storm to do storm damage clean up on our neighborhood trail system. But I'm also frequently out with one or two others. Anything that makes people more aware of where I am is a plus in my book.
Depends on what you're doing in the woods. The shows I worked for, you were completely on your own safety-wise. I was told to wear a whistle and blow on it if I got hurt and was still alive. I had an accident one day and blew on it for a couple hrs....finally extricated myself and moved on. Threw the whistle away after that.

I was always in the woods with other fallers too....but we were a fair distance from each other for obvious reasons. Bright orange would have served no purpose other than being ridiculed in the morning or quitting time. If you're in a group like you describe, that's a different scenario.

Buckin' Billy has a great story when he was working a show and got smashed. He had to crawl out for his life or die there before anyone found him. Crawled to near a landing and the yarder operator just happened to see him.

Kevin

John Mc

Quote from: Real1shepherd on February 12, 2021, 11:14:58 PM
Quote from: John Mc on February 12, 2021, 08:56:47 AM
Depends on what you're doing in the woods. The shows I worked for, you were completely on your own safety-wise. I was told to wear a whistle and blow on it if I got hurt and was still alive. I had an accident one day and blew on it for a couple hrs....finally extricated myself and moved on. Threw the whistle away after that.

I was always in the woods with other fallers too....but we were a fair distance from each other for obvious reasons. Bright orange would have served no purpose other than being ridiculed in the morning or quitting time. If you're in a group like you describe, that's a different scenario.

Buckin' Billy has a great story when he was working a show and got smashed. He had to crawl out for his life or die there before anyone found him. Crawled to near a landing and the yarder operator just happened to see him.

Kevin
Yeah, my situation is sometimes a bit different than what is typical in the forest. It also helps that I don't really give a darn whether others approve of my "look" and I don't care how others look: they can wear hot pink for all I care, as long as they get the job done and are not idiots about how they go about it.

Thank You Sponsors!