iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are your best secrets for finding great deals when you travel?

Started by Paschale, March 16, 2006, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

So I'm heading to Cali this summer, and looking to book a rental car.  I had a GREAT deal last year, but so far, I'm not having tons of luck this year on finding a great deal.  It got me thinking, though, that with all of the brain power on the forum, a lot of people would have some well proven strategies to find good deals.

For me, I like to use the meta-search engines, like mobissimo.com, kayak.com, and sidestep.com.  They search all the biggies, and find the best deal you can find.

Who else has some great travel tips?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

Paschale

Hey...sorry Jeff...should've thought to put this here in the first place.   :-\

Furby...I looked into it.  I have a free flight out there, so that's taken care of.  But the cost of drivng my car out there, considering the gas mileage I get, would be more money than the cost of a car rental.   ::)  Plus, I have a concert the day before I have to be out there.

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Furby

Drive fast ???
Sorry, not one to fly or rent cars so I don't have any tips for ya, other then have fun!

Bro. Noble

I'm like Furby,  I don't have a lot of experience renting cars or flying.  I do have some ideas on getting the most for your money when traveling. 

Just about anywhere you might be traveling,  there's a FF member that lives near there,  used to live near there,  or at least has been there.

Wher you are getting ready to visit an area,  post here to find out about the 'must see,  must do' things in that area.  That way,  no matter what you are driving,  you'll get more for your money.

We did that when visiting the UP prior to the first pig roast and the FF sure came through for us ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

slowzuki

I have gotten good rates on rentals far away by booking through work, phoning well ahead of time, and by posting on a message board!  Its true, a guy on an offroading board had a brother in law with a car rental place, got us a good deal on a 3 week rental.

sawguy21

My buddy's wife who is a travel agent. She is really cheap. :D :D :D Seriously, a good travel agent can be your best friend.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Minnesota_boy

We just returned from a trip to Washington, D.C.  4 people, air fare from Minnesota and return, 2 rooms in a Holiday Inn in Alexandria, VA. for 5 nights came to a total of about $1650.  www.priceline.com

We did start our planning early and had a day or two flexibility but we only used their package.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Thank You Sponsors!