iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

4900 International for small log truck ? To small or you think it would perform?

Started by RunningRoot, October 31, 2014, 02:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RunningRoot

I'v got a chance to pick up an international 4900 single axle straight truck ( 33,000GVW), ready for log bunks... It's clean as a pin and only has 107,xxx miles on it, everything works as it should and actually a very sharp truck..  dt466 with 6 speed and I believe its also a 2 speed rear.

I have my trucking contracted out to a fellow with a tri axle truck and loader now but was wanting a smaller log truck for when he cant haul or for when I do smaller jobs. I had a nice freightliner a year ago but it blew up on me and I parted it out( a lot of trouble out of it).

Do you guys think a 4900 single axle would haul some logs ?!? I am just talking about 2-2500 bdf at a time...
I also have a very HEAVY DUTY 30' gooseneck trailer ( 36,000 GVW ), I thought about putting a knuckle boom log loader on the front of the gooseneck. I could short bunk the 4900 so I can still hook up gooseneck, then I could load the truck's bunk with the loader and spin around and load the goosenecks bunks as well...
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

BargeMonkey

If you can haul with in the limits of the truck it wouldnt be a bad deal. Had a guy on the FF bragging about 2500-2600 bft on a single axle spilling over the side, dont be that guy. If you had a loader set up it would make short work of it. We used to dig a pit and back the truck in, in the long long ago when we loaded logs with a track loader, didnt work too bad.

luvmexfood

Just realize it's limitations and work within them. Might be you could shorten some of your skids quite a bit.

I haul small loads on a 16ft. two axle trailer pulled behind an F150. Biggest load I ever hauled was a little over 450 board ft. Not burning it up but no payments either. Good thing is that I can generally get the truck within 150 ft of the trees. Not all the time. Pull the logs to the back of the trailer. Have a bigger log laying crossways to the back of the trailer. Take tractor boom pole and pull the log in and at the last moment make a hard turn and the log usually will swing up on the crossways log. If not can wiggle around a little and get it on there. Simply hook a chain on it and then use the winch mounted on the trailer drawbar and pull it up on the trailer. Can go two high with no problem and that usually makes a load. Not high production but making do with what I have.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Dave Shepard

We have a very similar truck here on the farm. 466@250 7 speed and 33,000 gvw. It's got a 16' platform dump. I've had a good pile of pine logs on it, and it handled it fine. Not sure if you could go 2,000 feet or not. Our truck has a 9 ton capacity with one driver, straps and full fuel tanks. If you tow that gooseneck, I wouldn't put anything on the truck.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ga jones

380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

coxy

we had a guy here that use to put 2200 feet of hemlock  on one every day it was 18 feet long  then his kid got brave and put 2 rows of 8s 2high then single out and got on rt17 the dot had the truck for over a week   he had to go to the bank and get a big loan to pay every thing  ;D ;D couldn't have happened to a nicer guy  :D :D :D

RunningRoot

What could a man pick up by throwing a pusher or tag under it ? I see tandem axle 4900's running around all the time...

Man this truck is nice for a small truck, couldn't find another as well taken care of.. Really wanting to make this work.. planning on making a responsible offer the end of this week if it checks out ok...

BargeMonkey

Alot depends on your state, what they spec your wheelbase and front axle for. If its clean and you wont have alot in it, put a decent set of small bunks on it, pintle hitch to move your C4 then down the road upgrade. In NY your highway use tax is alot less on a dedicated log truck, especially if you stay under a certain amount of miles per yr. A single  axle heaped with logs is like a magnet for DOT, because it doesnt take alot to be way over.

bill m

Keep in mind that as soon as you put a trailer behind this truck it will require a class A cdl along with medical card and log book.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ford_man

If you put a tad lift axle on it you will get stuck a lot more Than a single axle. splitwood_smiley

Dave Shepard

Quote from: bill m on November 02, 2014, 08:06:37 AM
Keep in mind that as soon as you put a trailer behind this truck it will require a class A cdl along with medical card and log book.

Log book doesn't start until over a certain distance, or have they changed that? Can you register it as a farm vehicle? No med card for farmers, custom harvesters, or beekeepers.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

RunningRoot

I have my Class A CDL's with every endorsement a man can get, so not worried there about putting a trailer behind it...medical card would only be required if I crossed state lines wich i dont, but i do have my  med card up to date...
Log book in ohio is only if your traveling further than 125 miles.....
IF i could figure out what a tag or pusher would do for me and it beneficial, I have a buddy with a huge junk yard that I can get whatever I want for free...

coxy

can your friends on the ff get stuff for free two  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

RunningRoot

Lol, I can get whatever I need free within reason...
I can go hauling out 20 tons of scrapped equipment of course... but a tranny, motor, rams or anything like that I just go and pull it....

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on November 02, 2014, 10:41:37 AM
can your friends on the ff get stuff for free two  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Ive got a parts list in hand,  :D    but seriously, throw some nice bunks on it, keep it clean looking and loaded within reason and you can make money with it.

KyLogger

Haven't been on here in a while. I have a IH 4700 single axle with a DT466 and a straight 5 spd. transmission. I regularly (two loads a day) haul 2,500-3,000 bdft (international) on it. Great truck, but really wish it had a two speed rear end for these mtns.

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

smwwoody

Here is my 4900.  it is on the road daylight to dark 6 days a week.  it is a great truck.

DT 530 @ 300 hp  with 8LL tranny

That is almost a legal load.  DOT stopped me with it and I was 800lbs over on the rear group.

what is the wheel base of the truck you are looking at
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

luvmexfood

Welcome back *KyLogger*. See if you can keep some of the rain we get from your way over there. :D Now if Birchwood Casey would drop in here.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

KyLogger

Been the worst summer I can remember..........finally got moved to a good job on Monday! And it rained all day today, and tonight, and supposed to half the day tomm. Oh well, I needed to work on the service truck anyway!

Glad to be back!

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

RunningRoot

I am going  to head down and look at the truck Saturday morning, so I will know alot more then... but the fellow that has it told me it is exactly 14' feet from back of cab to center of rear axle and another 3 feet or so to rear of frame.
It is single axle but I was hoping i could add a tag or pusher axle to help me out a little( can get the lift axle pretty much free).

Smwwoody> That is exactly the truck I would eventually like to build. I can even get a set of twin screw axles if needed.
Kylogger> If i could get 3000 board feet on this truck I would be tickled to death :D

HiTech

I would guess 1,500 to 1,800 ft. will be a load for a single axle. Not sure what type of wood you are going to haul but it does get heavy real quick. 3,000 ft on a 10 wheeler with permit and you got 20 ton. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less depending on how tight you pack it.

KyLogger

Biggest load I have hauled on it was 3,340 bdft of Yellow Poplar, so the it weighed nothing like a big load of oak or hickory. We are on a mostly oak block right now and have to come out a rough road, been averaging 2,400 bdft. Got a lot of short logs in the chestnut oak.

Tom

HiTech

Quote from: KyLogger on November 06, 2014, 07:19:50 PM
Biggest load I have hauled on it was 3,340 bdft of Yellow Poplar, so the it weighed nothing like a big load of oak or hickory. We are on a mostly oak block right now and have to come out a rough road, been averaging 2,400 bdft. Got a lot of short logs in the chestnut oak.

Tom
You ever have any of those loads weighed? That's a lot of wood on a single axle. Up here the DOT would salivate just watching you come down the road toward them. lol

KyLogger

And that my friend, is why I love Ky! Especially our neck of the woods. The DOT will make a showing and teach us a "lesson" about once every three or four years. Other than that they leave us alone. Especially the single axles. Switch to a tandem, and they will jump on you. Especially is you haul on the interstate.

Tom

BargeMonkey

Quote from: HiTech on November 06, 2014, 08:41:45 PM
Quote from: KyLogger on November 06, 2014, 07:19:50 PM

Tom
You ever have any of those loads weighed? That's a lot of wood on a single axle. Up here the DOT would salivate just watching you come down the road toward them. lol
If you can do it down there and not have a problem, hey why not. Up here, you would be stuffed in the back of the car with 3mbft on a single axle. Im getting 36-3700 on a tri-axle with 20k front, 46k rears and a 20k tag, and thats pushing it. They would eat you alive up here, and if you hit someone, they would own everything.

Thank You Sponsors!