iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My next question in my quest to buy a mill - need input from Wood Mizer owners

Started by Southside, February 18, 2015, 01:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Thanks for the info Chuck and Pineywoods, those are some pretty impressive mods you have done there.  I don't think this 40 is the one for me, its a nice machine and has not been abused, lightly used it will probably be fine for a while, but I think it will need a little TLC if a guy put it into regular service.  Pushing a pencil I am not sure I am getting the most out of my investment there, so the search, and education, continue.

What can anybody tell me about the performance and service life differences between say an older 40 and a newer 35?   Is it like today's 1/2 ton pickups that are more like the 3/4 tons of the past? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Southside logger on February 20, 2015, 11:45:33 AM

What can anybody tell me about the performance and service life differences between say an older 40 and a newer 35?   Is it like today's 1/2 ton pickups that are more like the 3/4 tons of the past?
No.  I'd say the comparison of any LT40 vs newer 35 (there aren't old 35's), is more like the comparison of an F250/350 vs 150, from the same year.  The LT40 mast and head are more heavily built than the 35. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!