iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally pulled the trigger

Started by jimdad07, September 28, 2015, 08:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimdad07

After about six years of running an Alaskan saw mill with a Dolmar 9010 I finally ordered a band mill today.  I ordered a Hudson HFE 30 with 28' of track and the extra 15 blades to go with it.  I'm gearing up for a barn build and I'll have way too much cutting to do for my chainsaw rig.  Hopefully I'll be picking it up next Friday, I'm about 2 hours north of them.  Taking a long weekend next week to enjoy the new mill.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

rooster 58

8) Awesome! Nothing like getting  a new big boy toy 8)

thecfarm

rooster should of posted long in there somewheres. 28 feet!!!!  8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jimdad07

Quote from: thecfarm on September 28, 2015, 08:55:25 PM
rooster should of posted long in there somewheres. 28 feet!!!!  8)

I have a load of 20' pine logs coming for my TF barn build.  Pushing the Alaskan down a 20' log to cut my beams would be like pushing a car uphill with a rope.

jimdad07

Quote from: rooster 58 on September 28, 2015, 08:52:54 PM

But how do I convince my wife that it's "always been in our yard"?

sandsawmill14

thats easy but you may not have time. just put all your stuff in the yard sorta where you want the mill . wait till she has complained for a couple of months then when you finally give in to clean up you just move everything but the mill. she will be so happy you moved almost all your junk she wont even notice ;D :D :D :D
my wife's grandfather did this with a new truck several years ago and it was 2 months before his wife caught up with him :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

jimdad07

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on September 28, 2015, 10:56:15 PM
thats easy but you may not have time. just put all your stuff in the yard sorta where you want the mill . wait till she has complained for a couple of months then when you finally give in to clean up you just move everything but the mill. she will be so happy you moved almost all your junk she wont even notice ;D :D :D :D
my wife's grandfather did this with a new truck several years ago and it was 2 months before his wife caught up with him :D :D :D

Very brave man.  I bribe my wife with direct deposit every payday.  She bribes me with silence and peace.

4x4American

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on September 28, 2015, 10:56:15 PM

:D :D :D   I think there's a name for that- southern ingenuity!   :D :D
Boy, back in my day..

Sixacresand

Way to go,  jimdad07.  I know you will enjoy it and do some pretty work with it.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Congrats.  Please share your experience which will help others.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Quote from: jimdad07 on September 28, 2015, 09:08:01 PM

I'd hire member Raider Bill, I've heard he's good at painting things camouflage  :D.  Congrats on the new mill!

jimdad07

Thanks guys, the next week is going to take forever.

Tom L

Quote from: sandhills on September 29, 2015, 09:52:08 AM
Quote from: jimdad07 on September 28, 2015, 09:08:01 PM

I'd hire member Raider Bill, I've heard he's good at painting things camouflage  :D.  Congrats on the new mill!

congrats on the new mill,

have jeff send a letter to your wife, congratulating you for the free sawmill you won in some competition.
you could leave it where ever you want then

Delawhere Jack

Congrats on the new mill. When you start running a band mill, you'll wonder why you didn't make the switch sooner.

Have you made any plans for all the time you're going to save?  ;)

21incher

Congrats on the new mill. I love my little HFE-21. You could spend the week preparing a good flat base to put the mill on. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jimdad07

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 29, 2015, 04:54:02 PM
Congrats on the new mill. When you start running a band mill, you'll wonder why you didn't make the switch sooner.

That time will be spent begging for adult favors from my wife for the rest of my life....it will be worth it....

I've tried and made about every configuration of chainsaw mill you can think of.  Some worked well, some didn't.  In the end it's still a chainsaw.  I finally have a project that justifies the mill.  Going to be busy on that one.

Nomad

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Nomad

More importantly, have you told the Better Half about all the things you can make for her with your newfound hobby?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

coalsmok

Just let her see some of the things that have been made by the members here in the wood working section.  Then you will be busy for life with all the projects. I'm very careful now about letting mine see anything on there. Also kinda have to rush her through craft shows now. I'm already on the hook for a back deck, some more trivets, picture frames, trim for the house ............. You get the picture I'm sure.

OffGrid973

Congrats on the sawmill, you will love it.  I did chainsaw for a while then switched to WM LT10, life changing.  Took me two years to build my barn and putting the rolling door on two months ago was the best feeling ever.  Make sure you have the right ability to move logs around, without a front loader I rely on a winch positioned in the middle of my track to roll big ones :)

Post some pics when it gets setup or during...level strong ground is key.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

jimdad07

I raise beef on the side so I'm lucky to have three tractors with loaders kicking around.  Big reason for the barn, first floor for wrenching on haying equipment and my tractors along with welding and black smithing.  Second floor for my woodshop, I've been working out of a 16x24 post and beam shop I built for awhile.  I can tell you that chainsaw collections don't mix with woodworking and vice versa.  I'll be happy to finally be able to set up all of my tools and leave them setup.  I've done two complete kitchens out of that thing and I'm looking forward to space to work with.

jimdad07

8 days left.  Need it, want it, gotta have it.

jimdad07

7 days left....must have it now!

jimdad07

6 days left.....will next Friday ever get here?

4x4American

Sooner than you know it you'll be pulling boards!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!