iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Hack Shack

Started by redneckman, February 14, 2018, 09:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneckman

I thought I would make a contribution to the forum by showing you guys an invention that I came up with.  I am in a bit of the "chicken or the egg" situtaion.  I need some sheds.  But, I needed a mill to saw my lumber for my sheds.  On the other hand, I need a place to store my sawn lumber.  Since I bought my new mill, I dont yet have a mill shed to cut under.  That is coming this year.  I bought one of these metal buildings and I have it in it.  However, when I want to saw, I have to move it in and out.  It is not too bad.  It only takes a few minutes to set up.  Anyway, I was needing a place to store lumber in the semi dry until I can use it on a mill built.  Also, whatever I came up with had to be mobile since I will be doing big construction on my mill shed (I will post some designs I did on it later).  I came up with what you will see in the pictures.  I call it a Hack Shack.

The long piece of pine you see under it is just under 16' tall.  The shack was designed to cover a stack of lumber  4'wide x 16' long.  It will sit on 8, 10, 12, 14,  and 16' lumber.  You cannot tell it, but the top of the lumber hack is 7-8 feet off the ground.  I use my FEL to stack the lumber, and then pick the "hack shack" up and sit it on top of the hack.  It also has a semi floor to it that I can add cinder blocks to weigh down the hack to aid in drying.  I have a couple of these mesh tarps that you cover a dump truck bed up with that is tacked on the sides (not in the pictures).  These keep the blowing rain mostly out of the hack, but still aloows wind to circulate.  I hope this helps someone who has the same "chicken or the egg" problem that I had.

Kbeitz

Now if you had two stacks with a wider roof you could put you mill under the middle.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

redneckman

Yeah, I have been trying to figure out what to do with the hack shack when I get a shed.  I may make a deer condo out of it (4 x 16) and charge admission.  I have a herd behind my house that needs a little thining.

WV Sawmiller

We made sheds like Kbeitz suggests in Iraq and Afghanistan using connex boxes (usually 40' but sometimes 20's) and it works good. Not sure about milling under one - I'd think would get in the way of log, lumber and slabwood handling but might work.

Someone else here on the FF makes pallet roofs similar to your design which provides cover and weight. Looks good but that last picture looked like it might be a little unstable in a strong windstorm. I don't have equipment to lift such as them but I envy those of you who do.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

redneckman

I was a little worried about the wind too.  I turned it so the major wind hits it from the end.  Then, we got a nasty storm last fall.  60 mph gusts.  It stood through all of it.  It may blow down tommorow, but so far, so good.

Yes, a FEL is the most important / handiest piece of large equipment you can own in my opinon.

FLPINERAT

LOL..Kbeitz, with your talent you could have easily put the mill under there for him!

paul case

I used to sell lumber to a pallet mfger that had these roofs.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

starmac

I have thought it would be handy to make them like that only with the ridge running length wise with the lumber, and using cheap tarps instead of metal. They are not available here but used billboard tarps would be cheap and last the biggest part of forever. I also just figured to strap them to the top pallet of lumber before setting it on the stack, would keep it in place.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

petefrom bearswamp

Paul very similar to my lumber covers.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

samandothers

redneckman

Thanks. 

Everyone makes fun of rednecks until thier cars breaks down, or they neew a hack shack :D :D :D.

samandothers

We pass your area a lot going between Charlotte and Virginia.  We go right up 77.

Thank You Sponsors!