iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help or Hack

Started by rocksnstumps, August 24, 2013, 11:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocksnstumps

While doing battle last year with the Japanese Barberry coming up all over since a timber harvest, noticed this shrub and left alone until could get a good ID. This is under the shade of some planted red pine but near the road and a ditch.

At first was worried this was some sort of buckthorn but now not so sure. I have Jap barberry, lots of prickly ash and a few AO and bush honeysuckle so hey why not some other invasive to deal with. But these fruits are clustered at the end of the branch and are still very green and it's the end of August.

Maybe a nannyberry? Or maybe it's still something that has to go.....

I could try to give it a bit more light or will add to the hack list when next round of jap barberry eradication continues.

Here is a bark pic if that helps any

SwampDonkey

Probably nannyberry Viburnum lentago or related Viburnum species. Are the new buds that are hardening off long and slender at the tips of branches? A similar species is wild raisin found in damp places, but smaller shrub.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

From your first photo, looks like a slender nannyberry bud

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rocksnstumps

Thanks SD.

Had included a decent pic of the leaves with first post but not there for some reason. Here it is again, is this a help?

SwampDonkey

Yes, and you see that long skinny terminal bud at the end. Serrated leaves to. A nannyberry. They grow here to, but not in my location.

thecfarm

I have never heard of Nannyberry. I had to look it up.My book lists it as in my area. But I don't think I have any on my land.I have a brook that borders my land and a meadow too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

"Winter Keys to Woody Plants of Maine" (1975 revision) shows it with wild raisin and highbush cranberry on the inside back cover.

Thank You Sponsors!