iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

buying logs

Started by bedway, August 16, 2013, 01:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

First off im in Northwest pa. I normally dont buy logs because i have my own land and i harvest my own logs. A friend of mine said he had a few logs of mostly oak and maple and inquired if i want to buy them. I scaled them out to 175 b/f with some of the logs being mildly defective. I was trying to see what the going price was in my area for logs and best i can come up with 33 cent a b/f. Does this sound correct?

beenthere

Are the logs worth that to you? Will you be $60 better off with the logs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NWP

They must be small if a few only make 175'.  With a few defects they may be more or less pallet grade?  I got .23/ft for a load of pallet logs last week. For $60 as long as you're both happy, I don't see you could go too wrong.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

mattyboy88

want to buy some sinker logs?

Kemper

Red oak is going for 90 cents here white oak a bit more. Crating and mixed tie logs pay more than 33 cents.

dutchman

Here is  the link to Penn State Timber Report:  http://extension.psu.edu/natural-resources/forests/timber-market-report
It's always behind the current numbers, but check a few quarters for average prices.

Thank You Sponsors!