iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bank barn summer beam to sill joint

Started by Jpd, February 12, 2024, 08:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jpd

Hi all, second post here.   I am in the process of finishing my sketchup model to send to the engineer.  30x40 bank barn, first floor will be a wood shop with some substantially sized machinery.  I am leaving the timber sizing to the engineer, but I want to send him as complete a drawing as I can.  

I am having trouble finding information on floor systems for bank barns.  Specifically, I would like to find a joint to transition from an 8x12 summer beam (please correct me if this is not the correct term) to the 8x8 sills.  This does not follow from the little sketch in the rules of thumb page regarding joist to sill proportions, as the summer beam is (at least in my starting drawing) 4" taller than the sill that it is tying into. 

I will attach a screenshot of the sketchup for contextual clarity.  Has anyone run into a similar issue?  Looking forward to your ideas.  

Thanks
JPScreenshot 2024-02-12 at 8.21.51 PM.jpg

Jpd

maybe Bridging Joist would be a better term than Summer beam?

Jpd

Jim_Rogers

Do a google search for Historic American Joinery. and download the free pdf file.
Go to section 3 for Sills and floor joists. Look at drawing 21 and 22 for summer beam to girt. The raised the summer beam up the thickness of the floor, so that it could/would go together.

Try that and see if it works for you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Don P

8x12 sill or a pilaster or corbel (hmm, gargoyles, that could be cool) in the foundation.

Jpd

Jim, thanks for that. I had the pdf but missed that joint. I think I have a solution thanks to that.  I'll attach a screenshot if anyone cares to comment.  

Don,
height is an issue, im trying not to go too tall, the 8x12 sills would be overkill.  I forgot that there is a ledge- 10" foundation wall, 2x10 Pressire treated mud sill, then 8x8 sills.  Should be clear in the screenshot.

Bridging beam to sill.jpg

Don P

No more than 1/4 depth on an end notch and check required bearing area for the load, but you can go into the sill to pick up more area if needed, depth you'll need to play Jim's game to get the notch depth down.

Thank You Sponsors!