iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweet Gum??

Started by flip, November 22, 2005, 02:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

Sorry for no pics. but I'm gonna try.  A mystery tree fell in along side a 42" red oak.  I thought it was a big maple of some sort (no leaves or nuts on any branches).  So I threw a couple of logs on last night and cut them up to prove that they weren't poplar.  Well I'm stumped.  The logs were about 22" inches across and had about 1-2" inches of degrade on the outside.  The inside of the log looks great, but, the thing that stumps me is this...The heart wood is a reddish brown and doesn't really have any flow or pattern to the grain.  Sap wood is white like like maple and has no or little grain.  My partner and the guy I got the trees from swears it's not gum but I'll just about bet on it.  Any idears???

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

oakiemac

What does the bark look like? Sounds kind of like Beech but the bark is pretty distinctive on that species.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

flip

The bark is light grey, I think I found my answer in an old post by buzz sawyer.  I was right, unfortunately it be gum :( :(

IL Bull

You don't like gum? ???
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

flip

It did 'na really stink, but it be cold erin Jasper and de ole sniffer taint workin to well.  I cut some 18" boards and it seemed to cut kinda hard.  It smell kinda like the yacks butt and poplar ;D

Part_Timer

how do ya know what a yack's butt smells like ???  ??? :D :D :D

Just outa curiosity :) :) on second thought I don't want to know

Just having some fun tonight no hard feelings intended

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

DanG

If that's sweet gum you got, don't let it get away.  That's some kinda pretty wood!  It'll try to do a little travelling while drying, so cut it thick and put lots of weight on it.  You'll be glad you hung on to it.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MemphisLogger

I'm with DanG. I love gum best of all intertwined grained native heartwoods  :)

Got dragons and flames runnin' all thru it.  :o 

I saw it real thick so I end up with a substantial piece of wood when it gets done moving  ;)
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Tom

If you have sweet gum, it retails as Red Gum (heartwood) and Sapgum or whitegum (sapwood).  Red gum will cost you a pretty penny in the store.   It makes fine cabinet wood, tables, etc.   Try it, you'll like it, even if drying is a challenge.   :)

woodbowl

Quote from: UrbanLogger on November 22, 2005, 06:47:29 PM

I saw it real thick so I end up with a substantial piece of wood when it gets done movingĀ 
Urban,  I've had a lot of request to saw it real thin, about 3/4", but no wider than 8"-10". It makes beautiful paneling. My customers dry it in a stack out of the weather with stickers to keep it from cupping. Plane one side real good and the other just to lay flat. Mighty fine.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

lamar

I just unloaded a bunch of sweet gum that has been air drying for about 8mo. This tree was 28" and was tipped over in a storm so the it was alive for a while but I didn't get to it for about 6to 8 mo. There is a lot of 1/16 or so bug holes in the finish. I guess its been pree stressed for that old look. I even to some advice for ff and 1/4 sawed some and it dries nice and flat,even the thinner boards. What seems to be the best way to put a finish on it? I tried staining and it seem to not stain even. Maybe just seal and clear lacquer?? I see the fire and other shapes in the grain. I might try the paneling ,most of mine is pine this would be different. Does anyone have ideas on the best way to put a finish on it to bring out the grain and  tone? It makes better lumber than firewood. Can it be used for any structural uses?

Faron

Flip, any chance, given the odor, that it is elm?  We have plenty of it mixed with the oak in this area.  If it was a gum, there ought to be plenty of seed pods on the ground where it stood.  Usually when I am walking a woods, I will see a gum from a distance and think (hope) it is a nice red oak.  I have learned if it is just too nicely formed to believe, it is a gum.  My grandfather never refered to a "gum" tree.  It was always a "DanG" old gum. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

flip

I cut about 600 bf into 1" and the rest of the tree into blocking.  The bugs reaklly did a number on this thing- how in the heck can they get into the heart of a tree in just a couple of months??  It looks like someone just peppered the inside with a shotgun.  Oh well onto the red oak and maple.

Flip

TexasTimbers

Flip if it's sweet gum it is Beeeeeeeeeeeeeyoooooootiful. If it ain't, then it ain't sweet gum.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

flip

Funny thing, when we pulled the boards off the heart was a real pretty redish brown, now 1 day after drying all the color is gone :(

flip

TexasTimbers

Throw some water on it see what happens.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

LeeB

A little tid bit of info just for fun. During WW2 walnut for gun stock became in short supply so gum was substituted. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

brdmkr

I have never stained gum.  However, I do know that some woods have such tight grains that the wood will not accept stain.  On these woods, a dye can be used to alter the color.  Dyes have much smaller pigment molecules and will penetrate woods that stain will not.  If you like, I'll try to round up some manufacturers.  It seems like one of them is Fienberg???  Some of the dyes are marketed for leather and others for wood, but they both work fine on wood.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

lamar

Ive read some on the dies and would like a try at it. Cant seem to find anything from those that work with it.Some say you can put a wash coat of sealer on and the die will still work and no blotching.

brdmkr

I have applied a 'spit coat' of shelac to seal grease in wood before dyeing and it worked fine.  With this approach, you spray a coat of shellac, allow it to dry, and then sand lightly.  You can then apply the dye over this and it will work.  However, I am not sure why you would want to do this with unfinished wood.  It is a commonly used approach with old firearms that have been soaked in cosmoline.  If you don't spit coat them, the cosmoline will never cease to ooze from the wood when the gun gets hot.  If you spit coat, this seals the cosmo in, but still allows the dye to penetrate. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

woodbowl

Quote from: LeeB on November 23, 2005, 10:20:11 AM
A little tid bit of info just for fun. During WW2 walnut for gun stock became in short supply so gum was substituted. LeeB
I sawed some sweetgum that had a dark heart for a fellow one time and he called it false walnut.  ::) I didn't say nuthin' because I thought he may have been trying to make up a new term. It did look a lot like walnut though.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

ellmoe

I have read that red gum (dark, sweet gum heart) is shipped to Europe as a substitute for their walnut. Apparently, it does look like their walnut.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Daren

Sounds like sweet gum to me, it is very pretty, sands out great ,stains well... If you can ever get it to dry flatĀ  >:(. With it's grain, spalted gum it a wonderful thing... if you can ever get it to dry flat >:(. Did I mention I have had troubles getting it to dry flat?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

woodbowl

Quote from: Daren on November 24, 2005, 08:49:55 AM
... If you can ever get it to dry flat . With it's grain, spalted gum it a wonderful thing... if you can ever get it to dry flat . Did I mention I have had troubles getting it to dry flat?
I have trouble sometimes getting it to dry flat too Daren. So I just decided to let it do what it wants to. Here are a few pics of some sweetgum bowls that I made a while back. They are spalted, with bug holes and have several coats of shaved wax. That grain just comes alive!                       

Thank You Sponsors!