iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to charge for 1/2” pine

Started by Madtrapper01, September 16, 2019, 02:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madtrapper01

So I normally sell pine by the board foot at .80 cents a bf. Today I received an order for 12" or wider pine but only 1/2" thick. Selling this by the bf is just more work for the same money so I'm curious how others charge for something like this?
Thanks

Southside

I would be at $0.64/square foot on that and explain to the customer the downside of something that wide and thin. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

For anything under one inch, I charge as if it was one inch.  One person argued that  sawing 2 inch (vs 1 inch) should be cheaper.  Yeah, it less passes with the mill, but it is twice the weight to stack.  To me, a big concern,  if you re working by yourself. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

I'm with 6acres. When sawing I charge by the bf and tell the customer anything less than an inch is treated as it were a full inch and a square foot is treated as a bf. I'd use the same policy for selling.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

terrifictimbersllc

Requests for thin wood make my antennae go up.  Happy to give what the customer wants but like to make sure expectations are met.  In my experience (portable sawing) someone asking for thin rough sawn lumber is usually naive about behavior of wood.   Thinks for example all that happens when wood dries is that it shrinks in thickness just a little. 

So I ask what it is going to be used for and take it from there.  Just making sure there isn't disappointment on their end. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

Good point about determining the final use plans. Customers often have no idea about wood qualities and idiosyncrasies.

I had a friend ask for a 1/2" live edge board for a Lichtenberg burning/engraving project so I cut him one Saturday but cut the one next to it a full 1" and took him both of them Sunday and advised him to be sure to get them stickered soon and keep weight on them to help prevent that thin one from curling/cupping on him.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Madtrapper01

Thanks for the replies and insight!
I'm going to be sure to let the customer know of the downsides of using thin wide boards and I will charge by the square foot instead of bf. I think that's the only way that I can come ahead sawing this.

Thank You Sponsors!