iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swap my Stihl 034AV for a 066????

Started by ReggieT, March 03, 2014, 02:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

I've had my 034 for about 4-5 months or so...and getting a tad bored with it and starting to desire at least one big dog saw.
Well, I posted the 034 on Craigslist...and got an offer for an "even trade" on a running 066 or a non-runner 064!
I'm figuring that unless its a scam or seriously wounded...I could always have fun with the 066 for a season or two...and then flip it on fleabay or craigslist later...I'd probably use it less than 7-8 times a yr.

What do I need to be aware of concerning an 066? Kinda rather have a running 064... ??? ::) :-\
What's your thoughts on the swap? :-\

Here are pics on my 034 & some dingy one of his 2 saw! Based on his pics...they lookm like a couple of beaters!  :-\

Thanks,
Reg

celliott

Yeah those saws look pretty whipped.
Probably why he wants to swap....

If you do go for it, make sure you look the 066 or 064 over real well.
Do a compression check, pull the muffler and look at the piston for scoring, check the case for any cracks or breaks, check for missing parts\jerry rigged fixes, make sure they function as they should- start+stop correctly, chainbrake works, oil pump works, fuel tank isn't cracked, etc.

Give them a good once over.
Maybe they're just dirty and need a good cleaning  ::)
But I'd be skeptical, they look to be used pretty hard. Go into the deal with an open mind if you decide to pursue it.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

treechopper40

keep your 034 them 2 looked whooped hard to me
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

celliott

Why not just keep the 034, and buy another saw?
What's wrong with multiple saws?  ;D
Maybe see if he wants to just sell the 064. Get it cheap, project saw  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Al_Smith

I was going to make a comment about the condition of the 066 and 064 but somebody beat me to it .

IMO keep the 034 it's nice little fire wooder .

JohnG28

Keep your nice 034 and get another 2nd saw.  Whether its one of those or whatever you decide to pick up.  Can't question where the 034 has been or it's maintenance, but those other 2 I would question a lot.   
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ReggieT

Good feedback...I've got an 025 & the 034...just kinda craving a bigger saw for fun & giggles!
Might ask him about straight sale on both of them! 8)

Al_Smith

I wouldn't think the guy is too proud of them if he offered a straight up trade .

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

DonT

I would keep the 034 they are one of the most versatile saws I have ever owned,had mine not been stolen I would still be using it  almost daily. The other two saws looked a little rough.

KiwiKen

Agreed. Keep the 034 it is a useful size. An 066 is a beautiful serious gorilla of a saw and I'm sure you will enjoy using one. They are heavy and take no prisoners - there is a scar in my leg which says so - but for power and balance you can't get better.

You'll never regret owning two quality saws and you can always sell one if that day comes.
Kiwi.
MS 211 C
HS45

ReggieT

Quote from: KiwiKen on March 04, 2014, 05:18:31 AM
Agreed. Keep the 034 it is a useful size. An 066 is a beautiful serious gorilla of a saw and I'm sure you will enjoy using one. They are heavy and take no prisoners - there is a scar in my leg which says so - but for power and balance you can't get better.

You'll never regret owning two quality saws and you can always sell one if that day comes.
Thanks!

mmartone

If your not interested in his swap, I have an 041AV I'd love to trade with him.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

ReggieT

I noticed on one Stihl site that the 034 rpm max is 13,500 and weighs 11.6 lbs vs MS290 at 13.0 lbs, 12,500 rpms, but about a half a cc more power.
Other than these specs...what are some other differences in these 2 saws...and does the 290 respond better to a muffler mod or porting than the 034?
My experience is minimum...so I'm deferring to your superior experience and brains here...lol
Thanks,
Reg

JohnG28

The 034 is a split magnesium case saw, where the 290 is a plastic case clamshell design. The 034 is a better machine for sure. Not sure about which would take better to mods, but go with the 034.

Al_Smith

Because the 290 is a clam shell there really isn't much in the way of souping it up .For what they are and what they were designed for they do fine.

However they are not and never will be able to be the saw the 034 is .Stihl sells a lot of them though and people are pleased with them .

Thank You Sponsors!