iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimW

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 13, 2024, 05:04:27 PM
I do for freezing weather but usually just water and dawn.  I've been experimenting with denatured alcohol (aka active ingredient in WW fluid).   Right now I have a mixture of stuff should be good to 0.
I have gave up sawing in freezing weather.  Back in Feb. 2021, it snowed and I was gonna saw.  Just to say I have sawn in freezing weather.  When I was getting the mill ready,the power went out for 7 days.  I think me getting ready to saw, jinxed the power grid.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Southside

It has to get to "The Day After Tomorrow" cold for my Lubemizer to freeze, and if it's that cold I guess it doesn't matter.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

That may be true Jim, but the day after the day after tomorrow, you will have a heck of a time replacing those two stupid plastic check valves that will split to crumbs when it does freeze. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

He uses diesel anyways, it will have to get colder than what you'll be seeing☺️
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

That was a movie reference from when the jet fuel froze...
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Yes, I know you use diesel, and yes, I saw the movie. But those stupid check valves break if you just give them a cold stare and can be a real pain to get at and change, plus, they are different pressure values. Which reminds me.....
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Magicman

I purge mine by removing the jug hose and then drop the suction hose into a jug of RV Antifreeze to refill the entire system with -50° stuff. 

My 5 gallon Lubemizer jug has about a half gallon of RV Antifreeze in it so I know that I would be good anyway.  I take no chances of my pump or check valves freezing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

When I worked on an asphalt paving crew, every night come fall time, I got to winterize the rollers we were using. Remove filters, fill with washer fluid. Remove inlet hose and put in jug of washer fluid, turn pump on and wait for spray out of the spray bars to turn nice and blue. The procedure should be the same for a lubemizer.

I hated that chore, because when you sit on a big piece of iron with an open station out in the cold all day, your body never warms up. So then at the end of the day your cold body had to get its cold, stiff hands all wet, adding insult to injury as it were☺️ I've frozen way worse at 45° sitting on a roller all day then milling at -10°🤷

DDW_OR

side note

a drunk paving crew in MN parked a fully loaded single lane paver on to the grass
they could not move it with the semi

"let the machines do the work"

barbender

Haha a Knife River crew. That truck should've been able to pull that, I've seen pavers pulled through way worse. I've spent entire days at the side of a paver being pulled on the frame by loaded end dumps through gravel/mud, where my job was to knock the ruts in before the paving screed coame over the top of them. Most Octobers consisted of a lot of that, as there were jobs where the owners just wanted to get the gravel "covered up" before the winter freeze. Not fun👎👎

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on January 14, 2024, 08:33:59 AM
I purge mine by removing the jug hose and then drop the suction hose into a jug of RV Antifreeze to refill the entire system with -50° stuff. 

My 5 gallon Lubemizer jug has about a half gallon of RV Antifreeze in it so I know that I would be good anyway.  I take no chances of my pump or check valves freezing.

MM:
On my mill in the hose from the jug there is a reservoir/ filter assembly.  If you unscrew it and dump it out then it takes less RV antifreeze to purge the system.   Just make sure you do not lose the filter screen.  My lube jug is in the house and the mill is put away until after Jake's get together.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Southside on January 14, 2024, 12:00:48 AM
That was a movie reference from when the jet fuel froze...
I thought it was the hydraulics. Anyway 70super owners should be ok with its $500/gal hydraulic fluid.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

I just came from Walmart and all of the -50° RV Antifreeze is gone.  Wonder why??  Anyway I grabbed a couple of gallons of RainX 0° WW Fluid which will be plenty good for me.  I'll purge the system with it and then dump the rest in my lube jug the next time that it gets below freezing or I need a jug refill.

No sawing for me this week.   :snowball:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nebraska

I saw frozen diesel this morning, went to pour some out of a fuel jug and nothing happened. Screen in the pour spout plugged with gunk. Took the lid off and poured some out.  Looked like cloudy obstetrical lube, flowed like Kero syrup.  I thought all my jugs were number one fuel.   Guess that one wasn't.  Bet my sawmill lube wasn't flowing today either.  ::)

Southside

I came up into Laramie one very cold night through the valley from Ft Carson, -45F and my truck was gelling, so I pulled into the fairgrounds and grabbed my bottle Howes "Guaranteed not to gel" additive - it looked like honey, so I continued onto the Safeway and pulled up to the K-1 pump and began to fill my tank.  Poor guy working in the booth came running over "You can't do that - it's not taxed" - I asked him if he thought the tax man would come out in these temps, that calmed things down.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

The dummy should've been used to ranchers getting a shot to loosen up their fuel☺️

TimW

Please tell this SE Texan what K1 is.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

DDW_OR

cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey

sounds naughty, but is not

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey_(colloquialism)

"let the machines do the work"

Southside

Quote from: TimW on January 15, 2024, 03:00:51 PMPlease tell this SE Texan what K1 is

Think JP-8, without the smell.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

TimW

JP8.  Got it.
When I was 6 or 7, the Enco dealer (a family friend) had a Kerosene pump with a glass bowl top you would hand pump it up into bowl to the amount you wanted, then put the handle spout into your container and pull the trigger.  I was always amazed, watching the level go up, then go down.  That is the last time I have seen a kerosene pump

Old Greenhorn

Yeah well, these days they are a little bit different. :D ;D

Southside

I still remember a couple of folks who had a similar version, yet much smaller, in their homes to fill the cooking stove.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!