iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel Primary pump from tank to injector pump

Started by Ironwood, January 24, 2005, 05:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Well, I need some help fellas. I recently purchased a Clark Rough terrain  forklift with a freshly rebuilt Perkins engine. I am going thru 12 volt fuel pumps left and right. The injector pump is new as are the injectors. The pump I am speaking of pulls the fuel from the tank and provides it to the injector pump. I have tried several brands and they are all failing. They cost in the $30-50 range. Should I opt for a more expensive pump? Will that give an increased service factor? Tank is full and has fuel stabilizer in it (no gel problem). I am no diesel mech and need some experience to help me out. The primary filters are after the pump and i have not replaced those. If they were clogging would it burn up the pump? Thanks in advance. Reid :P
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

J_T

Don't understand it either I use one on my perkins that pulles my saw . My motor has a mecakinal pump that I by passed when I put the elec one on.Will check tomorrow and see what make it is it came from advance auto and has a good warrenty I'm sure. I usuly buy the best mouse- a -matic I can aford :D :D
Jim Holloway

J_T

Jim Holloway

bitternut

The filters are between the transfer pump and the injector pump right. It seems to me if you do not have new filters or are unsure of their age that it would be a good idea to change them out for new ones.  I would suspect that the filters were changed when the pump and injectors were. Are you priming the system by bleeding out the air? I have mechanical transfer pumps on my dozer and tractor but you have to bleed the air. This can be done by cracking a line till you get fuel leaking and then tightening the line. You may have to do this in more than one spot in the system. You may have to crack an injector also. If you have a book with the lift there should be some kind of instructions on how to bleed the system.

redpowerd

those pumps are more of a pulling pump than a pushing pump, so id think a clogged up filter wouldnt burn them, they all pump at a constant velocity. im wondering why the engine does not have a mechanical pump, or does it and its just broken? ive used those cheapy pumps from advance auto for years and have never burned one up, some have been on a few different engines, change your filters and seperators, and get a filter between your tank and the pump.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

gmmills

Reid,

Where is your pump mounted? Is it mounted up near the engine or back by the tank ?   Most of the in-line electric pumps are designed to push fuel not pull it .It should be mounted as close to the tank as possible. It won't last very long if it is pulling fuel a long distance.

Gary
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Buzz-sawyer

Most of those pumps require a filter in front of them for the warranty to be in effect.....do you have one before the filter?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

WH_Conley

Check for restriction between tank and pump.

Put a rubber fuel line on outbound side of pump and put it back in fuel tank, let it run for several minutes to see if it dries up. If pump runs dry that will shorten its life.

Pump should be as close to tank as possible, pushing.

Saw a D9 one time tore down 2 or 3 times because it kept quiting, turned out the problem was the foil seal from a bottle fuel conditioner had got in the tank and being sucked to the outlet of tank. When they found the problem the guy that owned the company had a reaction that is not printible here, or anywhere else for that matter.

You can't hardly be getting that many bad pumps in a row, has to be a contributing factor somewhere
Bill

Ironwood

Thanks for all the quick feedback. I have not checked the voltage yet, good one. The original pump looks to have been bypassed long ago. The new pump sits just above the old original one near the exhaust manifold ( although it gets no heat). It is somewhat far away from the tank (opposite side actually) and then it pushes it back over to filters on the injector side, perhaps I should move it as all the fuel related stuff is occuring on the other side except were the original ws mounted,.......Good idea. I have no book on the lift. I do know that it is an IT80 Clark. The Clark lift dealer about 3 miles away says I need to find the serial # on the frame, I just haven't had the time in the last two months or so to pressure wash it off. I will say the pump that it came with from the previous owner looked to be very heavy duty compared to the ones I have tried. All the parts guys have replaced/ upgraded them without complaint. I haven't needed to bleed the system  as I have changed them out, it seems to self-bleed as I turn over the engine. I finally went for the good pump, a Holley which fetched $100, which at this point I could care less about given some of the nasty weather and percarious situations I have endured during repairs to the system. I will keep you all posted as I work thru this. BOY DO I LIKE OLE CONTNENTAIL GAS ENGINES!I have several old Towmotors. Simple for all us dumbies and fire right up no matter the temp! :P Yes I do have an inline small filter before the pump and I like the foil comment, although the conditioner went into my main supply tank also filtered as it went into the forklift.
  Thanks again for the ideas Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

isawlogs

My two penny's worth ..... make sure of your ground ... at the battery and at the body .... make sure you are well grounded at the pump.. it will fry a pump sooner than you can imagine...Like I said only my two little penny's worth....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

J_T

Sounds like the same motor I got .With the pump only runing it should return fuel to the tank and you may here it trickling back in the tank.I got my pump on it's own switch .if you do get air in the system hot wire the pump and you can bleed the pump first it has two places to blead and with the pump runing it will chase all the air out .When it builds presure it should almost stop runing or slow way down.I think without going to the mill to see mine is a pureolator I switch it to my log truck in an emergance so it goes on whatever I need it for first.I have mine next to the primary filter on the filter side.
Jim Holloway

Ironwood

I don't know that it returns back to the tank if not utilized. Perhaps that is why the pumps fail, that is to say it builds pressure and continues to build head pressure if not fully consumed by the injector pump. I went out looking for a pump w/ a pressure kick out but was uunable to find such a kritter. I will play with it some morre today. I will listen for the trickle. I will also call the company that did the engine rebuild, the previous owner gave me the reciept to me after I bought it along with heavy duty tire chains (should have given these to me as we made the deal) He spent $4300 on the rebuild. Boy did I feel lucky after seeing that and hearing that Perkins are not the best deisel as far as durability. Thanks for the input. :P

slowzuki

I will second this comment.  Run a separate ground wire to the battery from the pump.  So many are burned up via bad ground.

Quote My two penny's worth ..... make sure of your ground ... at the battery and at the body .... make sure you are well grounded at the pump.. it will fry a pump sooner than you can imagine...Like I said only my two little penny's worth....

J_T

I promise it has a return :o  I traded for a combine an removed the motor and put it on the mill. Never herd about them motors not houlding up. Mine hasn't used a drop of oil  ??? I put the Rottal T in it .Some of those motors are universal as they are drilled to fit a lot of bellhousings
Jim Holloway

Ironwood

J-T, as per our conversation, my website is www.branchandburl.com   The photos represent work completed 4-5 years ago,and as with any artistic pursuit my style and look have evolved considerably. I sell direct to high end clients, usually by word of mouth. I do one show each year at the Adirondack Museum's juried annual rustic fair in Sept. some of the best builders from around the country display their work annually at this event. Most of my work is shipped around the country to it's final destination. Thanks for your interest. Reid

JustinS

Just a quick note(s):

-The issue concerning something in the tank restricting flow to the pump usually won't burn up the pump right off.  The engine will usually sputter and die from lack of fuel before this happens.  Had this problem on Stieger tractor with a cummins engine.  The original mech. pump had also been bypassed with an electrical pump.  
Plastic bag ______ missing fuel cap ________, you can probably fill in the blanks.

-You might look into what kind of flow requirments you injector pump has (gpm?)  You may need a stronger pump.

-Dido-check the ground and location of the pump.

Best of luck
~JustinS
"If it has hair, I can ride it, if it has horn's I can rope it, if it has hydraulics, I can run it, and if it's made out of anything natural, I can build it."

Mark M

What type of failure are you seeing? Is it electrical or mechanincal? Can you rotate the shaft? how about if you remove the pump head? Are you sucking up dirt and maybe jamming the pump?

Ironwood

Well as far as the failures, the first were electrical (one pump stopped clicking, other got stinky,burned) then I switched to the last one still running with no fluid moving, I thought perhaps gelling issue checked all that out no gel and full tank. Especially due to cold weather lately. I am going to put it on a separate switch directly wire to battery. TODAY'S issue slushie (seven-eleven style) in the tranny.Got down to    -5 or so the other night. So tonight I will be tenting in and torpedo heating the case to drain out what I haven't already gotten out this afternoon. I call it singing the "farmer song" Back in Ohio were i grew up seemed like the farmer's I worked for, wrenched more than farmed. the song is ...everything's broke....... Could be worse ., there is no rain coming with hundreds of bales laying or in wind rows! :D
                                 Thanks again Reid

Furby

Reid,
I don't want to take away from your problem, but are ya reffering to water in the tranny?
My backhoe did that, I think it was pretty solid though. :o
Only thing I could come up with was water, is that right?

Ironwood

Furby, Yes it's water. When I purchased it in early Oct.  I thought I had drained it all out to remove all exsisting condensation but low and behold she reared her ugly head yet again. I put some heat to the machine this afternoon to thaw things out and got some interesting things in the bucket, looked like a frosty or slushy ice drink you buy at the corner store. Fortunately I knew not to get too crazy trying to make it go. All is replaced for now and she moves well, 34 degrees here now. Feels like a heat wave. Shops not yet big enough to work inside on the big toys.

Well to all those helping out, I wired the pump direct and changed the filters tonight. WELL WITH ALL THE JUNK IN THE FILTER I wont need to worry about slipping on the ice out there. As I took the filter off the diesel and all the nasies scattered across the drive. I have to believe that may have been the culprit. I would be amazed if it wasn't. The filters are rather hard to get at and perhaps had not been change in the recent past as they looked "old".

I THANK YOU GUYS AGAIN, I told my wife how many folks had given input and even one phone call from balmy Tennessee (55*) thanks. She was amazed ;) Now she doesn't think I 'm that crazy for my online forays as i hunt and peck the keys. Well I need to go back out to  clean up.

Reid :P

Thank You Sponsors!