iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

swing to the left, swing to the right...

Started by HORSELOGGER, March 28, 2004, 04:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HORSELOGGER

A couple of Saturdays ago I had to saw up saw walnut mantles for two diferent customers. Three were 4x8 and one was 4" x 14" x 9'. I thought I would get a couple of pics of the double cut process on my Peterson mill for anyone intersted.I started on this log ( a barkless, dried out old log a farmer brought me along with some other walnut logs he needed to get of a property he had sold.This one sat in a machine shed for over 15 years) by opening and taking several "rows" of 4/4 boards. When I got down to where the face looked like a good place to take a 14" mantle, I took a few 1x 4 boards off the left side , made a seven inch wide horizontal cut, moved over horizontally another seven inches and made a vertical cut. This edged my mantle. I then moved horizontally in one inch increments making vertical cuts 4 inches deep untill I ran out of log. It looked like this:

I then made a horizontal cut starting at the left side and released all the 1x4s. That left this:

Then I moved back horizontally untill the blade would make a intersecting cut with the first seven inch horizontal cut I had made on the right side of the mantle . Looking from the rear, the begining of the cut looks like this:

And when all goes well , I get this:

And here are all the mantles. A nice bunch of walnut!

Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Wife

That is really incredible - what a clear description of how to double cut. Wanna job re-writing our manuals?
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

HORSELOGGER

Nah... I bout fell over tryin to write that one :o
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Tome

HORSELOGGER, how did you get your kerfs to match up?  I have been cutting some 7x9 ties with mine and the bottle cap works pretty good to level the blade.  Learned that from someone on here.

Nice Pics
Tom

Kirk_Allen

How do you deal with stress in the wood with a Swing saw?

I know with a band saw mill you can turn the log and take boards from each side to reduce the stress and re-level after turning but am curious how you deal with those same issues on a swinger?

I am curious because I may purchase a swinger for the big logs I cant cut on our band mill.  

Thanks
Kirk

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!