iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sparks on Fwd/Rev switch contacts

Started by MobileSawMilSlo, April 08, 2018, 05:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MobileSawMilSlo

Hi guys

Today I was cleaning my LT20 and I removed the control panel to dust of sawdust and lubricate contacts of switches.

I noticed that when I use feed switch for forward position everything is OK, but when I use it backward there is big spark on one of the Fwd/Rev switch contact.

I regularly (every 50 hours) lubricate switch contacts so this should not be the problem.

Searching over FF I found out, that this could be the fact that:

1) A diode is bad and big current goes over the switch
2) Motor brushes are warned out and use too much current

Tomorrow I will test diode with a digital multimeter and hope to see what is wrong.

Nevertheless, do you maybe know how "strong" diode should be if I would buy it the local electronic store? And how often (how many hours) do you replace brushes at motors?

Thank you for now.
Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

Kbeitz

A clamping diode is made to stop sparking. It stops ESD events.and back feed from the motor.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MobileSawMilSlo

Thank you for replay ... I will order a new one.  

I think that this one is right, isn't it? If I will not get it at WM seller can I replace with some other with the same specification (what kind?)?

Woodmizer LT20 mobile and TTP-600 Premium Plus
DAJK - all sawing equipment in one place

Kbeitz

I don't think you can use just any diode. I think it needs to be a zener. Better buy the right one.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sparks

The arcing is normal. The contact grease is used to minimize the burning on the fingers. The fingers do not touch at exactly the same time so an arc will occur.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Jeff

My LT30 has been arcing for 32 years. :)  Sparks is the man. You won't get a better answer from any other source than from him.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

slider

Good call on that Jeff . He is the man at Indy . 
al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!