iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 120, no reverse?

Started by gman98, January 16, 2018, 01:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  I'm trapping beaver for an old timer right now who has a franklin 120.  Said he lost the reverse in it.  Apparently he backed it in to a spot and parked it.  About a month later he went to start it back up and it runs but has no reverse now.  Any idea what could be wrong with it?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

mike_belben

Im guessing its a powershift automatic?
Praise The Lord

Southside

If it is a power shift check the transmission hydraulic fluid level. The dipstick on a 170 is under the operators left foot below the hinged cover, low on the transmission. Also check the transmission filters, you could remove them and try it without them to see if they are plugged and to know if the pump is giving you any flow, not a pressure test mind you just a flow indication. If you have a pressure gauge then skip the above step and insert it in line after the filters. Next is the electrical. The shifter - again on a 170 power shift - uses a series of NSBU switches that run on a dimple plate, if there is no power to the first switch in line when the ignition is on then there there is the problem, or it could be one of the NSBU's gave up the ghost. My machine did that and I lost first gear. $25 later and an hour with a multi meter and a pad and paper to reverse engineer the wiring diagram and she was back to the horse I know.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!