iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Custom Sawyer's sawmill

Started by Tom, September 10, 2009, 09:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Custom Sawyer picking up a 40+ foot log to put on the mill to create 12"x12"x40' timbers that will be made into Mats for heavy, off-road equipment.

Here it is placed onto the mill.  The little end is a difficult target at 40 feet.

Trudging along, squaring up the cant.

The grade side-lumber is marked and the widths are communicated to the edger-operator via hand signals.

The first station behind the mill is to cut the flitch to length.

The tailer/stacker sorts and stacks the lumber.

The Forty foot long Timber is removed from the mill......

...and stacked to the side.  Some of the big Production mill's stacks of logs can be seen in the background with sprinklers watering them to keep down the insect, rot, and stain damage.

Magicman

Quiet an operation.  Thanks for sharing Tom..... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

379hammerdown

Impressive logs! I have a hard time getting logs that will make a 20' 12x12 let alone a 40' one! Nice setup!  8)

Cedarman

Customsawyer looks like the "A team"putting a plan together.  Customsawyer, that is neat.
Great photos Tom.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Banjo picker

Nice job.  Is the mill always that long or was additions put in for the long cuts? Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sprucebunny

Thanks for the great pictures, Tom !

Looks like he gets some walking in every day  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thanks for the pics Tom  ;) ;D Looks like you got a good setup for doing the loooong'ish stuff there Customsawyer  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Do you do alot of long timbers Mate  ???

Takes Me Back to when i use to saw stuff upto 50' and the remarks & questions ;) Great looking timbers why do you saw stuff that long   :o ??? Thanks and Because I Can  ;)  ;D :D You need resonable logs to do it though  ;) I gota get myself another Bandmill SOON  ;) im missing having one for jobs like yours   :( :'( :'(

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Dodgy Loner

Whoa. That's quite a timber. Fully stocked log yard as well! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

bossltr

Yeah, sweet 40 foot!
nice job keeping that log straight
what kind of wood is that?
Brian Rodgers
http://outfitnm.com My renewable energy website

customsawyer

I don't have time to answer all the questions as the wife is waiting to go to dinner, but the one about why is because they pay me to. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

The logs are of diffrent species, the one in the pic was red oak but we do a few white oak, hickory, sweet gum, black gum, sycamore (sp), and many others but mostly red oak. The photo does not take in 10% of the log yard if. The mill is a LT70 with a 24' ext. that also has hyd. on it for log turner, clamp and toe board rollers, I also have another 12' ext if the call ever comes in I will hook it up. For the most of it you end up cutting what the customer needs or wants you to cut. It is not all that great it is just a lot of hard work and a way to make a living, but what a great living when you get to do something that you love. ;D
Ya'll are welcome to come on down and run it if you want, I will take up Toms job of taking pics for the forum. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Hbarker

Indeed NICE.. Makes me feel like a puss for trying to automate my little mill ..
nice setup you got there    8)

DR_Buck

Do ya charge by the board footmill when you mill those 40' 12x12s ?    ;D

Nice setup!
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Chico

Who's mill is that if you don;t mind me asking is it in Fla just below the line or in ga
Thanks Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

SwampDonkey

Always nice to see fresh hardwood boards coming off a mill, from this end anyway.  ;D I am looking at the stacks and thinking of what needs to be made next from that new lumber.  :)

Nice operation and you have a pretty good photo journalist at your disposal. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

customsawyer

I do charge by the BF and it does add up but sure takes alot of epuipment to handle them. The mill is located in Hazelhurst Ga. about 2 hours north and east of Jacksonville Fl.
Thanks for all the compliments on the mill.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Yep, the mill is nice, but I must represent the log side.  You will never see better hardwood logs in this part of the country than what is sitting under those sprinklers.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Meadows Miller

Quote from: customsawyer on September 11, 2009, 05:27:05 PM
I don't have time to answer all the questions as the wife is waiting to go to dinner, but the one about why is because they pay me to. ;D

Custom Im the same Mate  ;)  ;D the Moneys the Nice part  on H/wood like that downhere  ;) :D ;D 8) Retail beams like that would go for  $3564 aud ea or a whopping $7.70 aud per bft on average wholesale id get around $5.15 a bft for timber that long  ;) 8) Heavy timbers between 8' and 24' is about the $3.10 mark wholesale   ;) theres a good market for it too  ;D 8) 8)

On My Custom beam jobs 6x6" to 14X14"s i charge out at in Hardwood and recycled warf piles  i do clean fresh logs upto 24' for $1.10 a bft and recycled timbers upto 24' for a $1.65 deboltings at an extra charge at $27 an hour  and the cartage is at the customers expense  ;)

Im looking at Bringing Fresh A grade warfpiles 18"to30" butts  down 800 miles from a bloke i know on the north coast of Nsw in the future to fill orders i have here in victoria log cost landed in the yard here for 40' to 50' footers is about $.75 cents so theres money to be made on em  ;)

Most mills here peak out at the 20' mark and theres a handfull thatll do upto 26' on a regular basis ive had alot of my jobs come to me because ive been silly enough to say Yeah il cut afew at that length for you  ;) :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris 
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chico

Is that the old LP mill in hazelhurst
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

customsawyer

Yes it is the old LP mill. Beasley bought it about 11-12 years ago.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chico

That was a pretty good mill   I'm glad someone bought it and didn't let it sit.
Chico

customsawyer

It's even better now since they put in that head rig that runs a 9" band blade with a 200hp elec. motor that thing will flat saw some wood.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Quote from: customsawyer on September 15, 2009, 06:37:59 PM
that thing will flat saw some wood.

I bet it will quarter saw as well, if prompted  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

Thanks Tom for letting us see some of CustomSawyer's operation.   8)

There are a lot of members that are doing interesting stuff but don't do pictures or even explain what they are doing.

Thanks to Customsawyer for explaining things.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WDH

Yep, Jake is the quiet type.  He is a man of many talents.

Thank You Sponsors!