iDRY Vacuum Kilns

'puter cleanin'

Started by redpowerd, April 06, 2004, 01:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redpowerd

i just finished scrubbin GIF, JPEG, and HTML junk files off my computer. took me over 200 minutes to have the recycle bin delete them. my pc likes to store everything in its path.

is there a way to keep from having to search thru every file to delete this stuff, i mean, can i tell my pc to stop memorizing everything on the internet? millions of smileys and banners and pictures ive never seen, all slowin me down
thanks
jon
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

SawBilly

I just installed a free program from

see below for new info

by Lavasoft.
It seems to be doing great, it found and deleted several spyware programs that have been lurking around in the back, making my pc slow.

no promises, but it is working for me.

redpowerd

i just want it to stop saving every web page it sees. i was looking at yaab or yabb pages of the forum from over a year ago. talk about archives.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redpowerd

if thats the button that works...........mine dont.
i hit it once a month and it only clears "history" folders.
not the ones in the temporary internet 'contet' folders.
wondering if i can block unnessary files from getting stored, i.e.; a title banner from a site, html codes for page layouts, odd buttons under html codes, and such.

ill look on a newer machine and see if theres any difference between temp. internet settings

thanks
jon
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Ianab

On Jeff's pic above, click in 'Settings' in the 'temporary internet files' section. This may have defaulted to some HUGE number of mbs. If you change it down to 32mb or so the system will start deleteing temp files after you get that amount built up. You want to have some temp files kept, it makes browsing faster as the pc doesn't have to reload files it already has. But the default settings on some PCs are crazy numbers, 1,000mb or more  ::)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

I think mine is set on 75
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

20 to 100mb is sensible numbers.
The PC I'm setting up just now for a customer has defaulted to 1226mb.. thats a whole load of un-needed crud cluttering up your PC.  AND whats worse, if you have multiple sign-ons to the PC, each user profilev will get 1226mb of temp crud,  ::) so check it under each user profile.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Rocky_J

That website www.pcpitstop.com where you can test out your PC recommends setting the temp file for 80mb or less.

oldsaw-addict

To clean out unneccessary junk from your hard drive, just go into the accessories folder of the startup menu, then under system tools, there will be a selection called disk cleanup, I use it every now and then, time permitting. It should clean out a number of different things, what REALLY gets me is the number of cookies that are saved over a period of a month or 2. It usually averages about 200-400 for my PC! talk about scary.then when I delete them I have to sign back in on every single board I'm a member of, and that is a complex task to sit there and stare at a monitor trying to remember your signin name and password.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

SawBilly

Ok, I had posted a link above, but have now changed it a bit.

I did say adaware by Lavasoft, and that part is still true. the link I posted went to another kind of site that I know nothing about.

Here is where you can find the spyware removal stuff from Lavasoft.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

go to download section and pick Ad-aware 6 from a site, I used tucows.
after you download and start it, update it before (like a virus signature file) using. It wont hurt to use it first, just may not find as much.

This is a totally free thing, unless you want a bigger better version.

redpowerd

thanks for the help guys, potty trainin my pc
after jeff posted the smiley puzzle, i tried to cheat and look at some old yabb html files, deleted them all. :-/

oh well, stared at the screen enough that night anyways
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

old3dogg

redpowered.
Check out www.secretmaker.com
This neat little program gets rid of everything.
It wont even let the spam emails come through.
It cleans your history and cookies everytime you log off the net.
No banners or pop ups when you serf the net too.
I like it.
Mike.