iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sound level and mufflers on small mills

Started by gemniii, January 02, 2010, 10:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemniii

I'm looking at getting a small mill, Oscar 18, Woodmizer LT10, Cooks MP24 or some similar SMALL mill.
One of it's initial uses will be in neighborhoods where I'd prefer to make no more noise than a lawnmower.  Yet I will also be using it where I can't run power to it, so an electric motor is not a consideration.

I searched on muffler and noise and didn't find anything useful.

What type mufflers are run on the smaller saws and has anyone "upgraded" their muffler to make it quieter?

What's the noise level of the smaller mills?

John Bartley

When I bought my 25hp, Kohler V-twin powered mill, I wanted an answer to exactly the same question. I called our provincial Ministry of the Environment and the answer kind of set me back a bit. In Ontario, every piece of noise producing equipment sold is "supposed to have" a certificate of compliance for noise. I sold commercial grass cutting equipment as a business for many years, and I've never seen one of these certificates, and when I inquired, nobody else in the business, including the distributors had ever heard of this. I checked the legislation to be sure, and it was right there in black and white. I went back to the Ministry and was told that they aren't overly concerned about the certificate, "they are a complaint driven process" ministry, and that in the event of a complaint they would first ask me to remedy the noise problem, and then if I was unwilling to do so, they would take action. In my case the remedy would have been simple.....pack up and leave the job.

But.....this above doesn't answer your question does it?

So.......the simple answer is that the engines and exhaust systems used on the mills are the same as those used on commercial grass cutters, stump grinders, brush chippers (etc.) in residential areas, so noise is not likely going to be an issue, mostly because your time in any one area will likely be quite short (a few days at a time), and can be explained away as a "temporary" inconvenience to those who object.

You may wish to ask your local bylaw and/or environment regulators for an opinion.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

stonebroke

There are some low noise mufflers for atvs. I think I saw them in cabelas catalog once. You might be able to adapt them.

Stonebroke

bandmiller2

Usally not a problem, especially for mobile mills,the mufflers supplied are usally sufficient.My bandmill is powered by a wisconsin 2 cyl,I made a secondary muffler attached to the output of the standard muffler dropped the noise level noticably.Alot has to do with the direction of the exhaust,a pipe extension pointing up seems to reduce it.Mufflers vary so much its hard to give specifics.Many engine builders offer different options.I was concerned with the exhaust noise from my 6 cyl Dagenham diesel on the circular mill,a simple muffler solved it besides the saw makes more noise than the engine.If your muffler has an exit pipe add a second small resinator [muffler]or verticle pipe just support a heavy unit to not stress the manifold.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moonhill

My mill is louder than the typical riding lawn mower or even the my tractor which has a similar engine, 3 cylinder diesel engine.  I have not listened to a all electric band mill but I guess it makes more noise that one would think. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

ljmathias

I took a more direct route and just put a matched pair of mufflers on my head- cuts out most of the noise and the side benefit is I can't hear my phone when it rings...   :D :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

jdtuttle

I wear ear protection & have a 25 hp kohler. Spent too many years in construction & want to protect the hearing I have left ;)
jim
Have a great day

ljmathias

What?  What did you say?  Speak up sonny...   :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

scsmith42

I've run across this same problem.  It seems as if there are some good quiet mufflers available for two cylinder engines, but very few that work worth a darn for one cylinder engines. 

Jack's Small Engine website has some good options for mufflers.  I've used the SuperTrapp versions on some equipment and they work well.

I built a muffler for a single cylinder Onan engine a couple of years ago, and it turned out very well. The noise level went from "hurting your ears" loud to being able to carry on a conversation next to the generator.  It was a conbination of a 4" diameter - 18" long resonator / baffled expansion chamber with a super trapp muffler on the eventual outlet.  The concept of the muffler was copied from a firearm supressor, and it really worked well.  I can sketch it up if anybody is interested.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Brad_S.

Engine noise accounts for only part of the noise the mill puts out. You may be suprised at the amount of "singing" the band does as it sails around the wheels. The combined noise is enough to have to make you shout at the top of your lungs to communicate, but unless you were to saw daily in a residential area, the noise is tolerable, IMO.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

ErikC

I have been surprised at how much noise the mill seems to make, and then people a short distance away not even noticing it. I think on mine the blade makes a higher pitch than the motor and from aways away all you hear is that zing. Anyway I wouldn't worry too much over it.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

gemniii

Quote from: scsmith42 on January 02, 2010, 12:46:17 PM
Jack's Small Engine website has some good options for mufflers.  I've used the SuperTrapp versions on some equipment and they work well.

I built a muffler for a single cylinder Onan engine a couple of years ago, and it turned out very well. The noise level went from "hurting your ears" loud to being able to carry on a conversation next to the generator.  It was a conbination of a 4" diameter - 18" long resonator / baffled expansion chamber with a super trapp muffler on the eventual outlet.  The concept of the muffler was copied from a firearm supressor, and it really worked well.  I can sketch it up if anybody is interested.
Thanks for the link, and I'm sure everyone would appreciate a sketch.

coastlogger

SCSmith:
I for one am interested in your muffler accomplishment.A sketch would be great. Speaking of ear muffs anyone use the kind with aradio in them? I recently got a pair and find that they can, if used selectively, really make a bad day go better.
clgr
clgr

Brad_S.

There was a discussion about them a while back. Some, like myself, love them and can't imagine sawing all day without some music. Others thought they were a safety hazard, that you need to hear the motor and the blade talking to you. It's like the water/diesel lube issue. People have strong opinions about them and no amount of discussion will change anyones view either way. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Magicman

Quote from: Brad_S. on January 02, 2010, 05:30:06 PM
People have strong opinions about them and no amount of discussion will change anyones view either way. :D 

Well said...... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ErikC

Quote from: Magicman on January 02, 2010, 05:33:37 PM
Quote from: Brad_S. on January 02, 2010, 05:30:06 PM
People have strong opinions about them and no amount of discussion will change anyones view either way. :D 

Well said...... :D

Yeah a guy could just about say that on any topic couldn't he? Very true but we still like to hear all the points of view. :) :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Magicman

Quote from: ErikC on January 02, 2010, 05:58:26 PMYeah a guy could just about say that on any topic couldn't he? Very true but we still like to hear all the points of view. :) :) 

Oh, it's all "tongue in cheek",  Some of the best lessons that I have learned was when I was wrong   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

Being 100% portable I am either milling out by the barn or next to the house in some neighborhood. I run a 42 hp Kubota and liken it to the noise of a small tractor. As far as the noise from a saw singing, a little lube will quite it down right now, and a side benefit is it is lube for the saw as well.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Norm

Mine's all electric and is amazingly noisy.

Funny thing is I've never used a portable mill with a combustion engine....yeah I do need to get out more. :D

bandmiller2

Really most of us with bandmills work close to the mill and they seem louder to us than the person in the next yard.As stated much of the noise is not from the exhaust but the band and general engine clatter.I also run an electric and its far from quiet.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moonhill

Quote from: Norm on January 03, 2010, 07:17:04 AM
Mine's all electric and is amazingly noisy.

Funny thing is I've never used a portable mill with a combustion engine....yeah I do need to get out more. :D

That's what I thought, even with some cutter running on the band. 

Radio head phones are great.  I can hear the up and down of the engine, the wine of the band saying thing and I even know when I hit a spike, they don't cut all the noise out.  I am working on my third set. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Ironwood

My experience is that twin engines are quiter than single cylinders.   ??  And the guides on my Norwood are noisier than anything else. I have used mills w/ guide block style guides and they are quieter. I dont mind the noise, and like the factory guides on the Norwood (no adjusting). Just a few points of input.

ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Papa1stuff

I have worked on construction all my life and never wore ear protection and even after I got my LT40 Super with the 51 Cat ,I still did not think I could hear the changes of sound that tell you something may be wrong while wearing ear protection.
Well I finally tried ear muffs and after a very short time I found out you still can hear any problem noise and now It hurts not to wear them ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

John Bartley

Quote from: Papa1stuff on January 03, 2010, 08:48:36 AM
I have worked on construction all my life and never wore ear protection and even after I got my LT40 Super with the 51 Cat ,I still did not think I could hear the changes of sound that tell you something may be wrong while wearing ear protection.
Well I finally tried ear muffs and after a very short time I found out you still can hear any problem noise and now It hurts not to wear them ;D

Very true!

I spent a couple of years underground as a miner when I was young. I followed that up with machine shops, engine shops, etc... I only started wearing hearing protection in my '40's and I sure wish I had started in my teens.....

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Magicman

The only problem that the noise from my mill in urban areas has caused, is the folks it draws in.  Pretty soon, there is a crowd.  They want to ask questions.  And out comes the cameras.  Then, with everyone watching and distracting you.......guess what  ???  Yup, you screw up,  >:(  and then try to make folks think that you ment to do that...... :D

Did I ever tell you that I love portable milling.... :)    8)

Thank You Sponsors!