iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fuel transfer tank

Started by 421Altered, March 21, 2020, 10:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

421Altered

I've just recently bought a JD323E skid steer.  And I already like it a lot for around the farm use.  However, fueling it is becoming an issue.  Due to it's tilted fuel filler neck, it's impossible to fill it with 5 gallon jugs and a funnel, which is what I used on my old JD 2440 farm tractor.  Also, I'm getting older so that's not the best method for me anymore.  I would like to get a fuel transfer tank and put in my F350 8 ft bed pickup.  I have a Weather Guard tool box, so I looked at Weather Guard transfer tanks but, they had bad reviews.  Does anyone have real world experience with fuel transfer tanks and can recommend a manufactuer?  I'm new to needing a fuel transfer tank. Thanks.

BargeMonkey

We have 5 ? Smaller transfer tanks. I want to say they are all the "better built" and came from TSC, from the 50gal -100gal, I think Rick's truck is the 40gal slim tank. Cant go wrong with a GPI pump, cant remember the other manufacturer name, it's a red pump, those are good too.
All depends if you want a cube, L-pack, ? Permanent or quick in and out ? Biggest tip I've found is putting it on a decent rubber mat if you hard mount it, and hard wire it, fuse block, my toyota 50gal tank is removable, I've got it wired to a plow connector under my tool box, plug it in, pump and go, tank comes out in 2mins. All depends how fancy and how much you want to spend ?

barbender

Fill-rite is the brand of the other pump, iirc. I've had the same pump for 8 years, and it was used when I got it. It pumps 30-40 gallons on a daily basis. I had one used aluminum tank rub through, because I didn't have rubber under it. The replacement tank, I think Delta is the brand is a 100 gallon steel L. It developed a leak where a corner seam/weld cracked, I welded it up and it's been holding fine. One alternative for you could be the shake style siphon hose if you are filling from cans, they work pretty handy. Not near as handy as a pump, but way better than a funnel 😊
Too many irons in the fire

Maine logger88

You can also buy a hand pump pretty cheap if your only pumping fuel every now and then
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Skeans1

If you're looking for a nice combo tank/toolbox setup look up RDS we have one for a short box holds 60 gallons of fuel is a combo tank toolbox all under the rail plus still fits with a fifth wheel. My crummy long box is a 120 L tank by Dee zee which is fine my only complaint is when towing fifth wheel is the height with the pump. As far as pumps we have both GPI and Fill-Rite pumps one thing I would do is plumb in a filter as well as set it all up for 1" hose and nozzle to speed up the filling process.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Corley5

I run Fill Rite pumps.  Used to have a 40 gallon rectangle tank in a crummy.  Still have a hundred gallon one on a trailer.  They're tanks I got from TSC.  The big one has been welded.  The little one needs to be but I don't have a use for it at this point.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sealark37

I have had good luck with a 30 gal blue drum and a hand pump.  I intend to try the HF electric pump when I get by there.  I simply secure the blue drum in the front corner of my pickup box with a strap.

BargeMonkey

I made the mistake of buying the BIG push / pull diaphragm pump from TSC thinking I was doing myself a favor, I had it on my skid tank that goes on my skidder blade, didnt even bother locking it, if they wanted that level of work out to steal the fuel they deserved it 😂 

Those little harbor freight fuel transfer pumps are pretty good and worth the money. 

Bruno of NH

I have the fill rite red hand pump .
I have had it one year. 
Works great. 
Run it out of a steel 55gal drum.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

woodmaker

I think that in N.H., fuel transfer tanks are supposed to be d.o.t. approved( I dont know about anywhere else) so I used a rectangular side tank off an older road tractor and welded a 2" coupling to the top. I now use an electric pump, but just have a long wire with jumper cable clamps to reach the battery in the truck. That way ,I can move the tank from truck to truck in a couple of minutes.
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Skeans1

@woodmaker
If you have a 7 way RV plug you can use that for the pump they work extremely well for the application.

BargeMonkey

Dont quote me but I believe the magic # before a placard and hazmat is 112gal. The kicker is I can put a 1k gal tank in a dump trailer and be legal. Honestly anymore, I bought a couple CLEAN totes in cages, 275gal and it fits in the back of a 1/2-1ton truck. 

421Altered

Thanks to all that have replied to my post.  Lots of options to consider from all of you.  In the past I have tried 5 gallon jugs and funnel, and recently I got the $56 battery powered electric one that the pick up goes into the 5 gallon jug.  It works pretty good, except I always get diesel all over my hands.  Again, thanks to all that have replied.

Thank You Sponsors!