iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'd this tree

Started by Homestead_dream, March 09, 2019, 06:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homestead_dream

Hello forum, I'm new here but not new to reading the forum, I've enjoyed it for years.

I have a tree on my property that I'm gonna cut tomorrow,  not sure what it is but it looks kinda similar to tulip poplar. Any body know

Homestead_dream

Homestead_dream

lxskllr

I'm not real good with trees, but tulip poplars hold on to their seed clusters a long time. If it was a poplar, you'd probably still see a few in the branches.

edit:
BTW, I'm not getting a poplar vibe from it, but as said, I'm not great at IDing trees, especially in photos.

landscraper

I don't think it's tulip poplar. 

Cottonwood?
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

sandhills

Welcome to the forum, my first guess is cottonwood also, but it's a DanG straight one for what we have around here!

stavebuyer

Bark looks like sweet gum.

WDH

Maybe cucumbertree or blackgum.  They are easy to tell apart from the twigs.  Can you get a twig with buds?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hacknchop

Kinda looks like the Elm we have growing here.:D
Often wrong never indoubt

sandhills

I must regress ::), way to straight to be cottonwood, or at least what we have here, and the bark isn't quite right either.  Now not to hijack the thread but what are all the vines growing up to it?  This would be me smiley_dunce

Don P

It should have seed clusters still up there as mentioned, wrong bark for a cuke, I'd call it a tulip poplar unless it hits the ground and proves otherwise.

Homestead_dream

We were all wrong, it was a donut tree, completely hollow. That tells me it's some type of gum, the wood looks like sweet gum to me

lxskllr

I'd have left it to get another harvest. Donuts are good.

WDH

Could be sweetgum, could be blackgum.  Need a TWIG.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

I was gonna bet short on @wdh going for Ash on this one..... :D  must be my rotten heart... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Homestead_dream

Still have to go back and get a twig sometime this week. 

Woodpecker52

Its called the southern wastebasket tree., or manger tree.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Homestead_dream

I was finally able to get a twig. I'm not finding any sweetgum balls around the base

WDH

Stavebuyer is right.  It is sweetgum.  That big imbricate (overlapping scales) bud is the key.  If yellow poplar, the bud would be valvate (like a duck's bill), and the stipular or bud scale scar would completely encircle the twig :)

Here is a pic showing the valvate bud of yellow poplar and the scar encircling the twig. 

yellow poplar stipular scar - Google Search:

Homestead_dream

Thank You Sponsors!