iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Learned Something New

Started by Corley5, March 20, 2002, 11:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Thought I really screwed my 395 up Sunday :o.  I got it pinched and in the process of trying to get it free the tree fell over.  It didn't fall on the saw but the twisted the bar around and popped one of the bar bolts out.  I've never had this happen and figured it was pretty bad.  I always thought that they were a stud that threaded into the case.  I didn't see any thread in the hole and figured I was going to need a new crankcase half  :(or a tube of JB Weld ;D.  That was late in the afternoon after putting a couple gallons of gas and fifty hard maple trees through it and I was pretty tired anyway.  Which I'm sure didn't help in getting pinched in the first place.  The next morning I got to looking at it and fished what turned out to be a rectangular headed bolt out of the oil tank.  A trip to the saw shop and I was back in business in ten minutes 8).  Whew!!  They were able to put a new bolt in right through the oil tank.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

L. Wakefield

Back to basics (duh)- what is the brand on the 395, and would this be a standard risk/feature on most saws or is it unique to that one? I tend to be a saw mauler..lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Corley5

395=Husky.  The saw guys told me that Husky's bigger saws are made this way.  I imagine that Jonsereds are too.  Don't have a clue about the "off" brands ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tillaway

They are all pretty much that way.  Bar stud bolts are a normal wear part.  Ten minutes is all it takes, and you can usually do it yourself. 8)
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Jim Spencer

I have a Stihl  029 Farm Boss which is only about 6 months old.  Not much use because I have a Stihl 032AV and an 066 that I got last October with my Logosol mill.
Anyway the bottom line is that the 029 seems to be built quite cheap.  I have the bar studs loosening up and coming out.  I am presently trying to keep them in with LockTite and hope that works.  The steel inserts that are in the cover that clamps the bar to the saw are severely worn and one has the coller broken.  I will need to buy 2 when I get to the dealer.
I may have to make them myself.  I have a metal lathe and repair shop but takes time to make them.
My 032AV has been an excellent saw for about 20 years but recently have had a problem starting it.
Anyway I am sorry that I tried to get by cheap by buying the 029.
Jim

Ron Scott

I have a Stihl 032 AV also. It has been a good saw with the exception of the oil pump. I've had to replace two of them as the nylon gear wears out for some reason. I also broke the side cover and replaced it. The saw loooks like new.

I haven't had any starting problems so far. Parts might be getting harder to get because of its age.
~Ron

TJACK

I know what you are talking about.  I purchased a Stihl 025 late last fall for cutting firewood and have not been happy with it.  Difficulty starting it after it is warm and the gas cap loosens if you don't really crank it tight with the wrench (screw driver end).  I was told the best Stihls are models that end in an even number 036, 044, 046, 066.  Well I am sure this is true, but my smaller Husky 55 was as good as my larger Pro Saw 372XP.  Currently, I am looking for another larger saw and one thing is for sure, it will be all orange.

TJACK

KiwiCharlie

G'day TJACK,

Dont write off the orange and whites!!  Shame you didnt get an 026, or right now you'd be all smiles still!  Great model.
Problem is that normally you only get the good oil after the purchase!  And yes, the even numbered saws are made a bit more special.
Cheers,
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!